LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your help!

Installed a new tranny yesterday. It was running great and was driving it around. It threw a code saying that the left o2 was lean, then went away. This morning i go out to drive the car and it wont start. Cranked but would not fire up. So went through and checked to make sure i didnt pinch any wires from the transmission and i didnt. Ok so i then i disconnected to main fuel line and nothing came out during priming and cranking. Figured the fuel pump relay was bad so i changed it since it has 103,xxx miles on it so it cant hurt to change it. Still car does not fire up tries to start but wont. Checked to see if i can hear the fuel pump and nothing but for as long as i had the car about 5 years i have never heard the fuel pump. After cranking and cranking i jumped the car to another since it was draining the battery and i got it to start but it was running really bad to were if i let of the gas it would die. Turned the car off and tried again and it was much better and idled on its own. Hooked it up to the laptop to run through datamaster and noticed that it seemed to be running lean and was getting no reading on the histogram were it tells you the lean rich condition. Finaly it through a left and right o2 sensor lean. So what could be the problem? Bad fuel pump? I cleaned the FI system with seam foam then replaced the fuel filter. thanks
Old 03-10-2008, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

anyone?
Old 03-11-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

back to the top
Old 03-11-2008, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Try checking the fuel pressure with a gauge. The fuel pump will run a few seconds when the PCM detects turning the key to start position. This pick does not use the fuel pump relay, it goes from the PCM to the pump. If you hit the key a few times without cranking the engine you should have good pressure in the fuel rails (30-40 lbs) AND the pressure should stay there for at least 10-15 minutes without any activity. A bad fuel pressure regulator could be causing low or no pressure by returning fuel to the tank. If pressure is good but drops after starting then it could be the fuel pump relay, or PCM circuit, or a restriction in the line. After starting the fuel pump relay is picked by the PCM detecting RPM and oil pressure (I think). You can also force the fuel pump on by jumping +12 v to the fuel pump prime connector. Ref shbox site " http://shbox.com/1/fuel_pump_prime.jpg ". Good Luck..

Quick Reply: Need your help!