LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 using anti-freeze

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 05:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt1 using anti-freeze

So i just bought a 94 t/a with an automatic, and it has a new t-stat in it, new water pump, and the fans work.

my problem is it is using antifreeze and i would like to see wat you guys thought.

it does not smoke at all, or leak any coolant. but after i drive for about 30 minutes at a steady rpm (even 60mph at 2000 rpms), or run it hard usually WOT through 1st and 2nd, usually afterwards the coolant light comes on, and the rad is pretty much empty.

another thing is it does not miss. so im guessing i could rule out bad head gaskets.

when i bought it, it had a 160 stat in it, and it wouldnt build much heat. so i swapped a stock 180* in it, and it gets hotter, but doesnt blow hot air. i think the heater core could be clogged, just like the s10's and blazers do.
i also had a board member come over and he moved the stock fan settings from 226 to 185.

im just not sure what it could be. oil looks perfect, trans fluid is perfect. this thing has been giving me little troubles here and there, and im actually thinking about selling it so i can finish my chevelle.

thanks.

aaron
Old 03-10-2008, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

I would pull the spark plugs to see if one of them is really clean compared to the others. If that checks out ok, have the cooling system pressure checked.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Launching!

okay, i will try that tomorrow.

thanks.

aaron
Old 03-10-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bet your head gasket is leaking into your rear drivers side cylinder. Very common problem with these cars. Mine barely smoked if at all and had the same problem as you. The head gasket was blown in the track video I have on here.

It will eventually get very bad. But my car ran perfectly when it was a leaking head gasket. No miss, felt like it had full power ect. Just had a water jacket leaking into that cylinder.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Air in system is my guess, like a lot of air lol How it wouldn't overheat with that much, I don't now. Probably is a head gasket though

As for no in-car heat, apparently there's some plastic valve in-line to the heater core that likes to get all nice and clogged up. I'd check that before doing a heater core. I don't have heat either, but I'm not driving the car and am not going outside to tinker with it
Old 03-11-2008, 12:52 AM
12 Second Club

Check your coolant line under your battery. Mine was vanshing. No sign of leaks when parked.Had me pulling my hair out. Good luck
Old 03-23-2008, 09:08 AM
Launching!

did a pressure test on the cooling system,
found a few hoses leaking. fixed them.
still didnt fix anything.

did a compression test on the cylidners. all were from 100-120, but very consistant (also has 186k on it). no plug was really clean like it was burning coolant.

had a hose get a pin hole on me, and replaced it and a few other hoses, including the over flow tube, even cleaned and inspected metal over flow tube.

tried many different ways to bleeding the system of air. still no luck.

im lost here.

the only other thing i can think of is the cross over tube in the back has either a pin hole in it, or the o-rings are leaking.
i think the intake is leaking in the back, but im also wondering if its antifreeze that is also leaking there.
it takes about 40 miles before the low coolant light comes on, and sure enough, the rad is about 2 qts low.

other thig that is funny is, it does NOT pull any coolant from the over flow.
also my heat is not the best it could be. i think the heater core could be clogged. it is NOT leaking.

so how likely is it the cross over tube is effed up, or the o-rings are bad?

thanks.

aaron

Quick Reply: lt1 using anti-freeze