Sponsored by:

Whats the best way to fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best way to fix this?

Hey,

I bought a used LS6 motor last summer after I blew my LS1, from a local guy that I know from racing. He is a good guy, but the shop that took his LS6 out is questionable, at least thats what I'm thinking as a noob. The shop removed the oil gallery expansion plug thats under the front engine cover. When they did this they obviously scored the block, PIA but no big deal. However now I'm thinking it rounded the hole out some as well. I put what I thought was the correct size plug in, 555-011 is the part number, and I was a little nervous as it did not seem to need as much pressure to get it in as what I thought it would take. The next size plug looked like it was way too large and would cause damage to try and get it in. I drove it for about 6 weeks with no issues, and now I'm doing some refresh work on the valve train to get it to a known state for me. When I took off the front cover I discovered that the plug had come out partially, not sure what stopped it maybe the engine cover. Anyway, whats the best option for fixing it? Bore it out to the next plug size larger, get a threaded insert? I figure I'll be taking it to a machine shop to have them do the work. Or am I a tool and its OK, or am I a tool and it does need to be fixed

Anyone with an opinion on why someone would remove that plug? I can't imagine why someone would remove it, ever...

Here is what it looks like today:
Old 03-12-2008, 12:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Someone may remove it to drain all the oil from the block.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Teching In

But there is a threaded plug next to it, just to the left in the photo you can see the head of it, goes to the same gallery...

But, I'm a noob, I don't want to bad mouth anyone if there is a valid reason for it...
Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 PM
Teching In

I'm such a tool, the front engine cover has an area that overlaps about 2/3's of that plug, and its no higher than the gasket. So, thats whats keeping the plug in, and why I still have a LS6 LOL Anyone have an opinion on if it should be fixed properly or leave it?

Still can't figure out why it was removed...
Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it's some sort of permanent plug... why not dab some JB weld on it to hold it in place?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tap it and plug it.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the proper way to reinstall that plug is to stake it, but seeing that the hole is slightly mess up JB weld it in place, that is another method that some shops use on that plug and i did it on my last build also with no issues