Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

91 pickup 2wd turbo? Got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 pickup 2wd turbo? Got some questions

I have a 91 chevy pickup 2wd, fullsize, extended cab, 350 TBI, yada yada yada. Its got mega miles on it and is due for a freshening up. So I thought what the hell might as well turbo it.

I have an 87 350 TBI and 89 350 port, polished, and 3 angle valve jobbed heads. Also have a ported throttle body. I also have a wastegate and blow off valve laying around.

I figured that the most I will need to do to run a small amount of boost is get a T4 turbo, headers, oil line and an oil pump cause I wanna remote mount it and I should be good to go. I also thought while the motor is out of the truck why not throw a cam into the mix. I know nothing about cams and could use a hand, I have heard that mild is the way to go when dealing with a turbo tho thats on a 4banger and I'm not sure if the same goes for v8s. I don't plan on building the motor at all. Only running about 6-8psi max, I want about 100hp over NA. Or anything that isn't going to stress the motor too much.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-12-2008, 02:53 PM
12 Second Club

You should use a reverse or single pattern cam for turbo charged applications. Also, keep the LSA around 114. Turbo charging and overlap do not mix. The reason is that the pressure in the exhaust tract will cause reversion and contaminate the mixture.

Lift is a different story, the limits would be on the ramps with moderate duration.

Also, you will need to use a large enough turbo to not restrict flow. If you are thinking of a small amount of boost, the correct way to do that is to choose a correctly sized turbo, and set the wastegate where you want it. You cannot use a turbo that is too small for your engine, as it will be nothing more than a restriction.

Also, you will need to find some way to tune for fuel and timing. Adjust the AFR to mid 11s under full boost, and set the timing curve to prevent detonation.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:15 PM
Teching In

I don't plan on pushing a lot of boost, is 100hp on boost in a v8 enough to care about timing? In my 4banger at around 75hp it is recommended to retard the timing I just thought the threshold on a v8 would be larger, if that makes sense. Its less pressure per cylinder type of thing. I am kinda worried about AFRs and have no idea what size injectors are on it now, maybe I could just up the fuel pressure to force out more fuel with a FPR or try and find larger injectors. Not really sure there just because there are only two of them and I couldn't even begin to think what size they are or even how they work. Don't look much like the ones I am used too.

As for a turbo, I agree, and I was thinking along the lines of a turbo from one of the deisel engines, duramax, cummins, or something similar. A little lag is nothing that I am worried about. This is more or less just for goofing around and a lil more ball on the highway.