LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Few Questions for a new F/I build...

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Few Questions for a new F/I build...

Hey guys, I've got a few questions and I'm undecided on what I want to do. I've done alot of research and talked to alot of people and everyone tells me something different. Right now I have a 383 LT1 with TFS heads, CC306, and all supporting mods. I've never gotten a full pass down the track becasue everytime I went I broke the transmission. Now I have a TH400, but I'd like to go down the forced induction road.

I plan on getting my heads redone by AI. here are my current specs:
Chamber- 63.62cc
Intake Port Vol- 204.8
Exhaust Port Vol- 76.6cc
Lift - IN - Ex
.100 53 61
.200 144 102
.300 199 141
.400 234 167
.500 258 183
.600 261 199
@ 28" H20
I P&P'd the heads and intake myself. Do the valves and ports need to be much bigger to run a supercharger more efficently?

I know I need to lower my C/R, but what should I shoot for?

Also, will the CC306 work well with a supercharger? My limiter was at 7k RPM and it was shifting at 6800RPM. Will I still have to spin it that high to get the most out of that cam with a S/C?

I'd like to use a Vortech T-trim, but I don't think the aftercooler that vortech sells will fit becasue I have canton valve covers and a strut tower brace. Is there a way to make a FMIC work with the Vortech?

All input is welcome, thanks.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Flow numbers are important on N/A cars but not as much for FI cars. Don't get me wrong better heads/ cam will make better power as long as your power adder can keep up. For instance you would not want to put a small blower or turbo on an engine with a large cam and high flowing heads as the engine will be able to intake air faster then the power adder can maintain the boost. Now I know this is an unlikely and extreme example, but it's only an example. In short focus on how much boost you want to run, make sure the engine's bottom end can handle it (+ the car itself, suspension etc.) and then find a blower capable of providing the power you want with what you have. I would talk to some companies or other people who make/ sell blowers and see what size they suggest for your car. You may not need heads. This is only my opinion and I don't have any idea what you want out of the car or what your budget is so if I am way off, sorry. I'm not a newb with boost but I'm nowhere near an expert, after all I have an N/A car!!! Good Luck

Quick Reply: Few Questions for a new F/I build...