Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

is this engine good for APS twin turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is this engine good for APS twin turbo?

i am planning on building a turbo motor that will be well suited for the aps twin turbo just wondering if this is a good fit heres the link , i know its still needs a heads but i can get one later any input would be nice, i kist want to know if the 8-1 compression would be the ideal thanks

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882114
Old 03-13-2008, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99 black ss sj
i am planning on building a turbo motor that will be well suited for the aps twin turbo just wondering if this is a good fit heres the link , i know its still needs a heads but i can get one later any input would be nice, i kist want to know if the 8-1 compression would be the ideal thanks

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=882114
It'll work, but last I knew the APS twin turbo's weren't capable of what I would call "high boost" (more than 20#'s), and 8:1 CR is REALLY low for anything less than more than 25+#'s of boost.

Let me put it this way, my motor is 8.8:1 and it would safely take 22-24#'s of boost on pump gas. 8:1 is a considerable amount less, and your car will feel like a totall turd until it gets into the boost, which again the APS kit is not capable (to my knowledge) of that kind of boost level.

Perhaps a higher CR engine, or a Turbo or blower that is capable of that much boost may be a better decision.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go 9.0 or 9.5 to one.Run alc /meth injection should get 15 to 18psi and put out same power as at higher boost and really low compression. Max power on the turbos is around 850rwhp anyway. So think its better to get that at 15 or so psi. Thats why going 9.5 408 personally.Figure should hit 850rwhp and not have to run as high a boost. Higher boost makes it more likely to take out head gaskets and you didn't say anything about getting thicker aftermarket heads in your above list.

Oh and did hear different things on the low compression making it a dog theory. Some guys are saying the low compression like 8.5 didn't make their car doggy. My talons run 7.5 and 8.0 or something like that stock. My build up runs are more like 8.8 now.More compression faster spool and think better off boost. And can still run high boost with alc/meth or race gas or e85.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the higher compression...ya wanna be in the 9:1 range with these turbos.