Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Anyone use Iron heads for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use Iron heads for boost?

i know they are heavy and are hard and expensive to port but just curious. as they would be safer from warping like stock heads.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heads don't really warp. They might lift under high boost and you would go thru gaskets. One reason guys buy aftermarket heads like the afr. Aluminum heads are quite a bit lighter also and weight does add up. Lots of guys are pushing 15 or more thru stock alumuminum heads though. Iron blocks can be stronger than aluminum.Iron heads not really any advantages. Although aluminum heads could warp from bad overheating.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah at 140mph a hose came lose on my radiator and stock heads got warped and had to be fixed. with the iron heads you wouldn't have to worry about that. i just sold a extra set of stock heads i had laying around. not about to spend the money on AFR heads. iron heads are pretty cheap. just worry about my next setup incase something would happen with a head gasket(anything is possible) and warp aluminum heads again and they can crack easy. well weight isn't really a issue,front sway deleted,ABS,AIR,EGR,PS,HAVC,cruise control,impact bumper support.

Quick Reply: Anyone use Iron heads for boost?