LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

B&M console Megashifter or similar for 4th gen

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B&M console Megashifter or similar for 4th gen

Hi all, I'm new to the forum so I wanted to introduce myself (I'm Steve) and ask if anyone has tried, or know someone that has tried, to upgrade the stock 4th gen auto shifter to a B&M megashifter or any shifter like it? I know B&M states that the shifter is for 3rd gen cars but, does anyone know if it will work out of the box or even with minor modifications in a 4th gen console?

Any help/opinions will be appreciated.

Steve
Old 03-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Teching In

Default Just to clear things...

I just wanted to clarify my question before I get flamed. I have been reading all the previous posts and I've noticed they are quite old. So, my question should be: Has anyone found a decent solution to making the 3rd gen mega shifters, or similar, fit in a '93-97 4th gen console?
Old 03-15-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have a megashifter in my car. Its not the 3rd gen console one but its still a megashifter. I can get pictures of it for you tomorrow. Its really not needed since the computer controls when to shift the transmission, but it sure does look cool.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Thanks. I'd like to see the pics if you could: Fln_Lcky@***.net

I have a '93 Z28 and I believe it has the 4L60/700r4. I didn't think it was elec. controlled but then I haven't looked at the tranny close enough. The TV cable is an indicator of a non comp controlled trans correct(which i'm having a pita getting adjusted correctly by the way)? Anyway I'm going to be installing a TCI constant pressure valve body and I'd also like to change out the shifter as well. The stock one is fine but like you said a mega shifter would just look a little better. Oh, you would happen to know how different the third gen console is from the fourth gen would you. I've been reading a lot of the posts about folks begging for a 98-up shifter but, not a whole lot about 93-97. Are guys/girls getting the 3rd gen shifter to work?

Thanks,

Steve
Old 03-16-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes 93s are the only 4th gen that came with out a computer controlled transmission. Not sure about the 3rd then console but there really is no need for the console megashifter. I just bought the universal one and i was able to make it work with my stock A4 console with little cutting. Now the only thing thats missing is the gear selection indicator so for some people it would be hard to know what gear they are going into. I will get you picks in about a hour, i need to find my camera.

Here are the pictures as promised, let me know if you still want the full size ones and i will email them to you. B&M makes a replacement neck type thing that is 2 inches shorter that im going to order to see how that works out. Its really not that tall. I was also thinking about going the B&M Hammer to looke more stockish and put the megashifter in my challenger.
Attached Thumbnails B&M console Megashifter or similar for 4th gen-headliner-007-small.jpg   B&M console Megashifter or similar for 4th gen-headliner-008-small.jpg   B&M console Megashifter or similar for 4th gen-headliner-009-small.jpg   B&M console Megashifter or similar for 4th gen-headliner-010-small.jpg  

Last edited by 94T/A5.7LT1; 03-16-2008 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After looking over the installation guide for the fbody console shifter it looks like it will work just fine and it comes with the shorter lever. You just wont need to use the console part and the brackets but they might work also.

http://bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/8.pdf
Old 03-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to see if I can get some more specifics on the third gen model and maybe I can whip up a nice piece of trim to dress it out.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah the 3rd Gen Megashifter has a MUCH shorter handle. I had one in my '82 and Loved it. It was fun with the turbo 350 in that car. Just slam the shifter when u see 5500 and watch the *** end slide out every time when it hit second. so fun.

Quick Reply: B&M console Megashifter or similar for 4th gen