Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling BLK02WS6 - knock destroyed new LS6 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 08:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Calling BLK02WS6 - knock destroyed new LS6 engine?

OK, I monitored my H/C car for knock - NONE found.

My car is running stock LS1 tuning and the following mods:

SDPC, LS6 ported heads milled .055, CR=11.4 to 1
220/220, 564,564, 112 LSA cam
FLP LT headers
SLP 85mm MAF
ported TB'

all other bolt ons....

BKL02WS6,s earlier post indicated that stock LS1 tuning with its high spark advance would cause an LS6 engine to knock possibly causing sever destruction.

My analysis of my car does show I need a tune but I do not have ANY KNOCK!!!!

I assume (i) this means your new LS6 engine should not have been destroyed by running it with stock LS1 tuning, (ii)your "expert" tuner was not so expert and could have caused the knock that destroyed the engine?????

Old 07-23-2003, 05:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Calling BLK02WS6 - knock destroyed new LS6 engine?

OK, I monitored my H/C car for knock - NONE found.

My car is running stock LS1 tuning and the following mods:

SDPC, LS6 ported heads milled .055, CR=11.4 to 1
220/220, 564,564, 112 LSA cam
FLP LT headers
SLP 85mm MAF
ported TB'

all other bolt ons....

BKL02WS6,s earlier post indicated that stock LS1 tuning with its high spark advance would cause an LS6 engine to knock possibly causing sever destruction.

My analysis of my car does show I need a tune but I do not have ANY KNOCK!!!!

I assume (i) this means your new LS6 engine should not have been destroyed by running it with stock LS1 tuning, (ii)your "expert" tuner was not so expert and could have caused the knock that destroyed the engine?????

I suspect exactly what you said - the "expert" tuner was not so expert and they did cause the knock that destroyed my engine. The problem is it is hard to nail down exactly what in their tune did it. I have ruled out any hard parts (knock sensors, fuel system, injectors, etc).

I have been researching and talking to as many tuners as I can to get to the bottom of what happened - one so it doesn't happen again after my rebuild - and two so I can maybe help keep others from having the same problem.

One thing I have been told is that you can have detonation in certain RPM areas and to certain degrees that you can't hear and the knock sensors won't pick up. Over time, it can be damaging. That is my reasoning for using a good known baseline next time (stock LS6 timing).

You would think the knock sensors would have picked up on my knock and pulled timing - it could be like I said above, or the tune I got could have disabled or "desensitized" the KR, so I got none. I wish I could find out for sure, but the only ones who know are the tuners and they aren't talkin.

Since others out there have told me they are having no problems using a stock LS1 tune(as in GM tune in the PCM) on an LS6, I tend to think the mail-order tune I got did it. Keep in mind - from what we could see of the tune they wrote for me - it was "BASED" on a stock LS1 tune, but it was not the original GM LS1 tune in my PCM.

It seems that I had a one-off problem caused by someone's inexperience and my stupidity to trust them.

I plan to have the car tuned with LS1 Edit after the rebuild, and this tuner is going to use the stock LS6 timing table - no changes. I believe the opinion of the current place doing the tuning - this is the safest way to go - it makes sense.

I wish the best for you and post up how it runs after tuning. I'll drop a post when mine is complete and let you know how it goes.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:52 PM

well if it is a tune that you suspect you can read the tune with ls1 edit and it will be there and you can see what the tuner changed

you should always go to a tuner/shop that knows what they are doing and stand behind their work
Old 07-23-2003, 07:04 PM
9 Second Club

well if it is a tune that you suspect you can read the tune with ls1 edit and it will be there and you can see what the tuner changed

you should always go to a tuner/shop that knows what they are doing and stand behind their work
We are going to do exactly that once everything is hooked up and the battery is connected again. We didn't have a chance to check it all out before the engine needed to come out and get to the machine shop. We'll see what we can see then remove the tune and use Edit.

I agree 100% about tuner/shop - I tried to cut corners and paid.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Black02WS6:
I would go back to the guy that thought he "tuned" your first engine and tell him he needs to make it right - like about $7K should do it....
Old 07-24-2003, 04:23 PM
9 Second Club

Black02WS6:
I would go back to the guy that thought he "tuned" your first engine and tell him he needs to make it right - like about $7K should do it....
Tried that. They say no way they did anything wrong - it must be my fault.

It would take lawyers and going to court to get anything in a situation like that. They are a company with more money than I have for a lawyer.

I'm chalking it up as an expensive lesson - find someone reputable with a good record of success before letting them tune your car. Don't get in a rush and cut corners - do your homework.

I'll be straight soon And I have faith that what comes around goes around - eventually it catches up to those that wrong others

Quick Reply: Calling BLK02WS6 - knock destroyed new LS6 engine?