LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Header Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:17 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header Question

ok heres the deal, i dont have much to spend and have a couple of problems. (and yes i know yall can preach to me all day lt's are the way to go but i dont have the money) but i have a 96 trans am LT1, and stock manifolds magnaflow high flow cats with borla catback but the front of my cat back (the ipipe and 90degree elbow came apart and got bent really bad) but anyways i found a guy that has bbk coated shortys but for a 95 trans am 2 bolt flange for a yipipe and my 96 has 3 bolt flange for my yipipe, so there for they wouldnt fit on my trans am , but he said he would throw in his y pipe as well cause they are 2 bolt flange and with a gutted cat...would that work on my trans am, going with his bbk headers and y pipe? and since its gutted the check engine light would come on as well right? also he has either bbk coated or edelbrock stainless steel, which one should i get? now unless someone out there has mids with a matching y pipe , i may could buy those as well depends how much though, so please help me out here!!
thanks yall
Old 03-19-2008, 11:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also how would it sound with shorty headers, gutted y pipe and borla catback hooked up?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You might have problems trying to combine a pre-96 system with a '96-97 system because the '96 up had the dual cats, and the smog stuff is OBD II on your car, vs. the OBD I on the '93-95s.

That being said, I wouldn't worry too much about headers, unless you have the funds to go to a long tube set up. I was talking with one of the SLP techs one day, and the subject of headers and street cars came up. The short story, from his point of view, is that "shorties" are good for only 6-7 HP at most. He said that a good "cat-back" is a far better bang for the buck.