LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Pathway Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pathway Diagram

I am looking for a diagram to show the route of the oil flow through an lt1 motor, as i am trouble shooting an oil pressure issue. I have searched all over with no luck.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Launching!

I dont know the oil path but if you post your problem, I would love to take a crack at it.

Chris
Old 03-20-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

Well i have a fresh 383 motor that I installed in my 94z and it has no oil pressure to the oil passage behind the intake where the sending unit mounts. It however seems to be circulating oil in the bottom end of the motor as the drive gear was soaked with oil when i pulled it back out. I first suspected that the oil galley plugs where missing and tore down the front of the motor and found that they were infact installed correctly, I also removed the intake and the drive gear seemed to be properly seated and engaged. Everything looks good. So for some reason oil is not making it up to the passage where the sensor is located it. I fear that perhaps the cam bearings my not have been installed correctly or the galley plug in the main cap around cylinder #5 may not be installed. I am trying to find a good diagram to determine what i might be looking for. thanks
Old 03-20-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

what should the the oil pressure be at for just cranking it over...b/c I have oil coming out the rear passage but with little to no pressure on a gauge.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure just cranking won't produce all that much oil pressure, as in not readable on a standard psi gauge. Hell at idle we only make 15psi and that's 500-650rpms.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:22 AM
Launching!

If you only have 15 psi at idle on a cold engine, I would anticipate problems. If you have a mechanical guage, try it. You should get pressure when you crank the engine. Does oil come out of the sending unit port (bad sender/guage)? Do you oil getting to the rockers? I am not 100% on the GM passage, but it should flow up the block and down the passages inside the webbing (next to the lifters), through the lifter passages/cam, which pumps oil up the pushrods to the rockers. If you have oil to the rockers then I am stumpped. If I saw a block I could tell you but I dont have a pic of an exposed one. I THINK the oil passage for the sender on the back is just like an overflow tube and nothing is past it.

Chris
Old 03-21-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

yea Im not getting any oil pressure reading when the motor is cranked over with a mech gauge. I do know that there is some oil coming up the passage but not enough to read. i did go ahead and primed it with a powerful air drill and saw 45 psi but granted its rated for 1800rpm, and the cam works at 1/2 the speed of the crank so if it was actually going its max it would be equivilant to 3600 rpm.

Quick Reply: Oil Pathway Diagram