LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

357 build ?s

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 357 build ?s

Ok so i am building a 357 tie over motor. Now my plans are to reuse the stock crank and rods but I am using a set of forged Speed Pro pistons. I am also going to mill the heads .010"- .015" and the block is already zero decked. Now my questions are as follows (and i just want the questions answered)

1) The pistons are floating pin pistons, are the stock rods going to work?

2) Will I still be able to run the impala headgaskets with no pisto/valve interference? (pistons are 4 valve relief) (cc306 cam)

Now remember this is ONLY A TIE OVER motor til my stroker motor is completed so please no comments about buying new this or anything like that. The only way I am going to buy something new is if the rods wont work with the pistons since I already have them.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as the PTV clearance goes, you need to know how thick your HG is and the installed height of the piston is. With that, what is the gross valve lift. What I do is measure it out with clay and a solid lifter and no HG. I know I am going to catch some static for that, but you can 100% tell what the clearance is with out the HG (make sure you do not force it), measure from there, and add the difference of the HG. I think you need .05 (dont quote me on that because I am going off the top of my head) inches of clearance for the valve. If you do not have that, change the pistons or have them cut.

The rod question is a double edged sword. You CAN use the factory rod if you have them bushed for a full floating piston. But why would you when you could spend just over double that for a set of good aftermarket ones? So, no you can not just drop them into the piston and seal them and call it a day.

Chris