Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Fit Billet Spec. wheels on a 98-02 w/fact brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 06:15 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking Fit Billet Spec. wheels on a 98-02 w/fact brakes

Ok, for all those that still give a damn about the Billet Spec wheels......

Good News!! I got one of the fronts mounted last night. I had previously ground the front calipers to the point where I could use a spacer with my Weld Prostars.

Well, I got after the front with the grinder and really went to town. About 45 more minutes with the grinder....checking with a straight edge repeatedly, then finishing it all off with an orbital sander and 40 grit. Next, the good old Mr. Gasket 5/16 spacer and I got the rim on. I do have the ARP 3 inch studs and I used new open ended McGuard lugs. The wheel clears with about 1/4 inch of space between the inside edge of the rim and the outside and face of the caliper. The rims look kick ***!

My car has the factory front LS1 calipers with drilled and slotted rotors. I took a couple of pics late last night when I got it done but, I really suck at posting pics so.....anyone on here who is good at it can email me and I will send them the pics to post up.

I plan on getting after the pass side front tonight and maybe even getting the rears done as well. Car hasn't been driven for almost 2 years so there is alot of rusty lookin crap on the rotors .... just fyi.

Kev
Old 03-21-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by K9Kev
Ok, for all those that still give a damn about the Billet Spec wheels......

Good News!! I got one of the fronts mounted last night. I had previously ground the front calipers to the point where I could use a spacer with my Weld Prostars.

Well, I got after the front with the grinder and really went to town. About 45 more minutes with the grinder....checking with a straight edge repeatedly, then finishing it all off with an orbital sander and 40 grit. Next, the good old Mr. Gasket 5/16 spacer and I got the rim on. I do have the ARP 3 inch studs and I used new open ended McGuard lugs. The wheel clears with about 1/4 inch of space between the inside edge of the rim and the outside and face of the caliper. The rims look kick ***!

My car has the factory front LS1 calipers with drilled and slotted rotors. I took a couple of pics late last night when I got it done but, I really suck at posting pics so.....anyone on here who is good at it can email me and I will send them the pics to post up.

I plan on getting after the pass side front tonight and maybe even getting the rears done as well. Car hasn't been driven for almost 2 years so there is alot of rusty lookin crap on the rotors .... just fyi.

Kev
what bout the rear?
Old 03-21-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 4SFEDZ
what bout the rear?

Like I said, I'm going to try and get to the rears tonight.....geez, have a little patience. As far as I know I am the only one with a set of these that has made any effort to actually do the fitting and report back.

Kev
Old 03-22-2008, 04:07 AM
TECH Resident

Default *** Update ***

Well,

Sucks to be me. While the front worked out really well, the backs are a different story. When you try and put the wheel on, there is only approx. 1/2 inch space between the outside edge of the rotor and the inside of the wheel. It's obvious that the wheel will 'never' go on with the brake caliper, no matter how much you grind it. Believe me, I tried. My rear caliper is down to approx 1/4 of an inch in thickness and that's just not gonna cut it.

I bought a 9 inch last fall from a member in H-Town and it looks like I'm gonna install it along with a set of drag brakes so I can get my wheels on.

Billet Specialties should note to their customers that their wheels won't fit our cars without aftermarket brakes. I'm sure though that their response would only be, "You shoulda checked fitiment before ordering". That woulda been fine if anyone had a set for measuring

Anyway gang, if your looking for a different set of wheels other than the old Welds, look for a better fitting wheel....like a Bogart that was actually made for our cars

Kev
Old 03-23-2008, 10:58 AM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont give up man. toss some drag brakes back there and let her eat(depending on what you do with the car)
there is a thread on yellow bullet where they WILL NOT FIT drag brakes with VENTED ROTORS either. i had this same problem with another set of wheels and ground my calipers a lil on the corner to clear, but it may be a huge issue with other make wheels.
fronts look good mang!
Old 03-23-2008, 01:54 PM
Teching In

why would you even post this without pics?
Old 03-23-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the front wasnt the problem its was the rear.