LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 Problems

I just put my Lt1 together and got it running yesterday and when I crank it over it every few cranks its pushing air out of the intake. It wont start and run without throttle. I readjusted the valves a lil on the loose side so I think I can rule out the valves. When it is running it misfires badly and after i shut it off the header on the passenger side is ice cold and the driver side is extremely hot. The passenger side does have good spark. I was thinking that maybe this is a timing issue. Not sure if its cam timing or ignition timing. I have a friend coming over today with a snap on scanner to see if it could possibly point us in the right direction. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Launching!

You have the wrong firing order or something like that. It is a timing issue. Usually the "backfiring through the intake" is a sign of the firing order 180* out.

Chris
Old 03-23-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by seawalkersee
You have the wrong firing order or something like that. It is a timing issue. Usually the "backfiring through the intake" is a sign of the firing order 180* out.

Chris
I figured it out today there were a few plug wires that were reversed. Thank you for the input man. Although it does still have a miss under load.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:17 PM
Launching!

What kind of miss? There are differences such as once in a while it misses or is it missing all the time. I suggest you spray the wires with water and let it sit for about ten minutes and then start it. If the wires are bad, you will know it as the miss will get worse.

Chris
Old 03-24-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

It is a constant miss. As in the front and rear cylinders are dead and the third one back is on and off again. All on the passenger side. All have good compression all are getting fuel and all have good spark. I was thinking maybe the injector timing is off or something. Does the optispark control injector timing?? If not what does. The car does not have a crank sensor.

Quick Reply: LT1 Problems