Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

Navy's Retarded ways!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Navy's Retarded ways!!!

Well I was on Shore duty in Little Creek Va, Stationed at ACU-4. I hated Va, still do, So when I came up for my time to go back to sea duty, I was stoaked. Finally getting out of the Common Wealth state, and back to the West Coast.

I mainly wanted to come to Washington, The wife and I have family up here, and it is an awesome place to live. Nice people, pretty country, hunting, fishing, and racing..

Well I looked for months, on orders to come to Wa, Finally some orders came up for VQ-2 Squadron, they fly the P-3's.

I talked to the detailer and from what he told me these orders were some kickass orders, and not to many MR's were ever to get them... He sold me on them, right?

So I took the orders coming up here, thinking I would be doing what I love, and what I am good at, Machining.

Nope I got it all wrong, The billet I took was a quad zero billet, which should have thrown a red flag in the first place. When I got here, the first thing people asked me, was. WHAT THE HELL IS AN MR? Right then and there, I knew I was in a bad spot.

Being the only and I mean ONLY Engineer here, I am stuck with doing desk work, (GSPO, Facilitator, ADIMS Ins, and a bunch of other stupid jobs). In the long run this Duty tour will not help me in any way for advancment in my rating, and in my rating you need all the help you can get. We are a small community of only 843 sailors, that are in my rating. To advance from E-5 to E-6 Its pretty tough, only 6% made rate last cycle, and this cycle is not looking any better. To make E-7 well you better be sucking somebodys dick, even in the right duty station... lol.

So what I decided to do was wait until my 9 month mark of being here, and put in a 1306 for a Duty Swap. Command approved it, and another command that I was trying to swap with approved it.

But.....

The instruction says, it has to be a Low cost or No cost set of orders, Fine. I will pay for my own House Hold Goods Move. No biggy, I was only going to move 46 miles away. BUT, also, it has to be in the same Geographic location and within 30 miles.

Thats were they got me, I am in the same Geographic location, but not 30 miles. So they denied me....

Now this is what bothers me. I have seen and known alot of people that have done a duty swap from Coast to Coast, and that is way more than 30 miles....

So what gives????

Sorry end of rant.

If you guys have any input, feel free. I have more info on the subject that I can tell you guys, but this post is allready getting too long.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Man, reminds me of my navy days. I was a 6 YO IC-man. It required a 6 year contract, E4 upon completion of a school. I served two great years on the USS LY Spear in Norfolk. The best 2 years of my 6. I was then forced to transfer, to another ship, but they owed me a C school. Check this out: they sent me to NC2 plotter school, a navigational device used on the the bridge. It was a shopping 30 day school, the shortest the navy offered for IC rate. Here's the best part, I already had orders for the John F. Kennedy before starting school, which didn't have a NC2 plotter.
That said, anytime I ever hear the military complain of lack of retention, I think back to me and I'm sure many, many others who they have done this to. It's all good because the Lord meant for everything to happen like it did I guess.
Hate if for you because I've been there. When my 6 years came up, I got all excited about shore duty on the east coast. I had 4.0 evals and was a E5 at the 4 year mark. They offerred me Albequrque NM, Detroit MI, and Omaha NE. Go Navy!
Old 03-26-2008, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

Ask if there is some sort of waiver for that mileage...I mean C'mon 30 miles---46 miles, that is only a 15 min. difference in a drive. good luck man.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:20 PM
11 Second Club

I allready tried for the waiver, My CMC talked to them, My XO and DH Talked to them. Nothing. My detailer is just be a picky bitch.

Really sucks too, cause I would be making 1350 BAH vises 945, which is sad, cause whidbey island is way more expensive than Everett. And I would actually be getting paid for being on sea duty, which is 425.00. I am on sea duty now, but don't get paid for it..

Quick Reply: Navy's Retarded ways!!!