LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

o2 change

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default o2 change

Ok here are my thoughts,

I am going to take my car to be dynoed and since there is still snow where I live I have trailer it to the shop which is about 13hrs south. Yeah what are you gonna do? I'm gonna get the computer tuned by Ed Wright after the dyno run as I plan to drive down there in the summer to redyno it to see whats up (and go for a good drive).

Because I have a 1995 the shop can not do any programing but they can give me a print out of the o2 readings in the exaust (I think they probe the tail pipes). My thought is, do you guys think the shop programing my computer would make use of a copy of the print out for programing purposes? Cause I think it would make sense, thats partly why I'm holding of on the tune prior to the dyno.

Second, I've never chnged the o2 sensors in the car ever, I think there due. But do you guys know what a life span is on these things? But my real question is what I''m thinking of is do I change my o2 sensors before or after the dyno. The factory tune and bigger cam is making the car run rich I'm sure (my tearing eyes after running my car in my shop for short stins don't lie) and I don't want to gum up a new set of o2 sensors at 80 bucks a piece. But I'm not gonna run the car after the dyno till the new tune is instaled because the weather is not good for the car till mid april to may anyway.

New o2 sensors would give a more correct reading for the power number I'm sure as well as for the print out. And since I'm on the subject of correct readings, can you brake clean the sensor in your maf? Just want it to be a legit run.

Thanks for the info in advance gentelmen, can't wait to get the car on the road so I can drive not just comute!

Last edited by NorthernZ; 03-27-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:22 AM
Teching In

First I am not going to lie to you. I know s%$t about dynoing a car. I have not gotten mine to that point yet. Second whoever is charging $80 a sensor should be dragged into the street and beaten. Go to

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

find your car and look under emmissions for the O2 sensors. I think $50 each was the most expensive for a '95. I have had good luck with these guys as far as prices go. Every where I have looked has said to change them at 100K.

Pete
Old 03-28-2008, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info on that site.