PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

standalone to run engine and stock ecu to run tranny possible??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 01:12 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Default standalone to run engine and stock ecu to run tranny possible??

So i am a long time rotard head that finally wised up........ was running a Gt42 rotor powerd rx7 till the silly triangle pulled its last shinanigan on me.

Anyway here is my question. I really want to keep the Haltech E8 standalone that i was running the rotary with to control the boosted lm7, but i also don't want to stick a non electronic auto behind it, I would much rather have the options and tunning available with the electronic units

Would it be possible to modd the stock ECM to control just the tranny? by feeding it TPS and RPM/Load......... and use something like HP tuners to adjust the tranny parameters??

My LS1 savvy buddy is telling me to ditch the haltech and just run OEM with something like HP tuners, but i really love the Haltech and still wish to control the Alc. injection ect. with the haltech, I just understand that system alot

thanks guys
zac

oh and i dont feel like spending a grand on something like a FAST stanalone controller
Old 03-30-2008, 02:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gee mate I really don't know what you see in the Haltec. I've worked with them before on nissan's and compared to the power of the Delphi PCM there really is no comparison. Haltec's are very generic. Commanding Pulse widths for primary fueling is so primative and quite frankly its a pain in the ****. I'd have to agree with your mate, ditch the E8 and save it for when u really need it on say an EFI conversion.

But hey if you really want to keep the E8 for the engine you could get a T42 to control the trans.

Last edited by macca_779; 03-30-2008 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:11 AM
8 Second Club

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

dang you

you have a interesting post. How does the stock PCM control fuel VS the haltech which uses pulse width??
or how is it easier??

Interesting
Old 03-30-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rotary1307cc
dang you

you have a interesting post. How does the stock PCM control fuel VS the haltech which uses pulse width??
or how is it easier??

Interesting
Stock PCM controls primary fueling via commanded AFR or EQ depending on how you want to see it. The MAP sensor for example combined with a VE table among others will measure and calculate air volume coming in. With Air volume known, Injector flow rates known and a commanded AFR. There is enough data for the PCM to to generate a pulse width to output the commanded AFR you asked for. So basically you tell the PCM what you want and that's what you get... But getting that accurate actual AFR is where the work comes in but its not hard. All the good tuning suites like EFI LIVE have scan tools that can compare actual AFR (WB02) to commanded AFR and generate a differential factor. If there is an error between commanded and actual this will be incorporated into the factor and all that needs to be done is apply it to the VE table.

If you want to know more go to the EFI LIVE website www.efilive.com and download the program. In demo form you can have a stab around and have a read of all the tutorials. For now I've uploaded the AUTO VE tutorial as this will explain fuel dial in a bit more detailed than what i just have and give you some nice pickies.

http://www.adam.com.au/mcardle/AutoV...20Tutorial.pdf