Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Textralia STILL chattering need some answers

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Textralia STILL chattering need some answers

Ok, I have e-mailed Textralia twice with no answer, so I have decided to post this here.

I have had an OZ-700 clutch in my car for almost a year now and it still chatters. When I first installed the clutch I gave it about 500 miles worth of breaking in and it still chattered like it was brand new. So I called trying to see what I needed to do and after finally getting a hold of Textralia I was told to put some heat in the clutch. So after slipping the clutch like I was instructed it got substantially better. It would barely chatter at all when it would engage and just felt beautiful.

However the next day it would be right back to chattering like I had just put it in. So I would have to rev it up to about 3k or so just so it wouldn’t chatter when trying to get going and this continued for weeks. Then the clutch started to have good days and bad days. I couldn’t tell anything I was going differently as far as driving goes, but some days it would start off great and start to chatter after a bit of city driving. And other days it would just chatter from the moment I got in.

Now jumping forward to today, it has picked up a new quirk. It will sometimes drive great, sometimes chatter, well it always chatters just some time worse than others, or it will make a squeaking noise as it engages. It will usually do this along with a very light chattering.

I have been trying to figure out that if I did something wrong during the install why does it get better and worse, and act like it is going to work after slipping it and heating it up. The only strange thing that I can think of was when I got the clutch it seemed to have some dirt/rust looking stuff on the flywheel and the clutch plate that wouldn’t come off. However I was assured by Young at Byunspeed, where I bought that clutch, that it was nothing to worry about.

So I am just asking is there anything that I can do to somehow make it stop. It is making driving the car almost unbearable and I am tired of having to explain what it is when I get a puzzled look from passengers.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been doing a lot of research on Tex and from what I understand, there should be no break in period anyway. Out of curiosity, is it the z or x-grip?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

i can't remember, I want to say the z grip
Old 04-02-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Regular

anyone? how about you Textralia, maybe you can answer here since you don't reply to e-mails. I just want to know if this is the way it is supposed to be or if there is anything that can be done.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

it could be your driving style. i used to get real bad chatter with my cartek when i first bought my car, and it had atleat 20k on it. i went from a gradual release to a guick drop. i will let you know what happenes with my TEX OZ-700 Z grip next week when i get my trans in.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Launching!

I had slight chatter right when I first installed the X grip, the half organic disc, but it went away, I heard the Z grip is a little rougher.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

bump?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:40 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm thinking it's driving style.By looking at your sig I would figure you should be leaving lights at 1k to 1.5krpm.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1Lust
anyone? how about you Textralia, maybe you can answer here since you don't reply to e-mails. I just want to know if this is the way it is supposed to be or if there is anything that can be done.
I had the same problem of Textralia (and unlimited speed) not replying to my e-mails, at all, until I finally posted something public like this also.

IMO, they make a great clutch/flywheel setup, but the customer service isnt so great.

Anyway, my setup chattered at first, but after about 1500 miles and some heat, its broken in. Unlike what is documented.

Last edited by Michael02hawk; 04-06-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:27 AM
10 Second Club

You guys have to remember that you are not their only customer. I had a problem with a different company and I called them and they helped me out right then and there. Emails get piled up and not much gets done with them.

Tex OZ700 Z grip here and its all in your driving style. if you let off too quick, not enough revs, ect all affect if it chatters or not.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by purdueranger
You guys have to remember that you are not their only customer. I had a problem with a different company and I called them and they helped me out right then and there. Emails get piled up and not much gets done with them.

Tex OZ700 Z grip here and its all in your driving style. if you let off too quick, not enough revs, ect all affect if it chatters or not.
I waited 10 days after my 1st note to Tex & Unspeed. No Response. I felt that was more than a resonable amount of time.

You experience with a different company is completly irrelevant to ours with Tex. That would be becuase IT'S A DIFFERNT COMPANY. Apples to Oranges..yeah, okay.

At least I agree with your last statement, It is in the driving style. And even though Tex states no break-in, me, and others that actually own the clutch feel otherwise. Break it in, and all should be fine.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Martin HD-28
I've been doing a lot of research on Tex and from what I understand, there should be no break in period anyway. Out of curiosity, is it the z or x-grip?
no break in?!

you need at least 250 good city miles before you nail it. mine has 0 chatter now and drives perfect. I have the Z grip.

When you installed, did you make sure to put it on the way you got it? is in, didnt reverse where the pins mate?
Old 04-07-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Mine was behaving just like yours 4000 miles after break in. Then I took it to the track, slipped the clutch a little from 4500rpms on my nittos, cut a 1.75 60' a few times and it has been perfect since. Mine chattered and made noise, now its awesome.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:42 PM
12 Second Club

I know that if your running the stock gear it could cause more then normal chatter with a new clutch. I had the issue with my ram but now its fine. My buddy with the same clutch and a 3.73 gear never had chatter even before it was broken in.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My oz700 has not chattered since day one. I've had it for about a month. I put about 500 miles on it before i went through the gears. I'm also thinking it might be because of your driving style
Old 04-10-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry the replies were a little slow but school kinda started to suck

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I'm thinking it's driving style.By looking at your sig I would figure you should be leaving lights at 1k to 1.5krpm.
That’s right about where I try to keep it. It still however chatters and squeaks.

Originally Posted by purdueranger

I know I am not their only customer. I do however expect e-mails to be answered eventually. I have also tried calling them they don’t answer or return calls well either.

Originally Posted by Jimmard
Mine was behaving just like yours 4000 miles after break in. Then I took it to the track, slipped the clutch a little from 4500rpms on my nittos, cut a 1.75 60' a few times and it has been perfect since. Mine chattered and made noise, now its awesome.
That was essentially what they told me. I haven’t been to the track but I have slipped the clutch and done my best to heat it up like I said. I wonder if it just needs to be abused a little more.
That’s the kind of answer I would like from Textralia.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i say beat the living **** out of it. Give it a GOOD amount of heat. Besides, thats what its made for. give it hell man, and let us know how it goes.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:32 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
no break in?!

you need at least 250 good city miles before you nail it. mine has 0 chatter now and drives perfect. I have the Z grip.

When you installed, did you make sure to put it on the way you got it? is in, didnt reverse where the pins mate?

I don't even think there were two ways I could have put it in. I think the pins were offset.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Restricted User

Mine has never chattered either. I beat on it from day one...
Old 04-11-2008, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Mine does the same thing. It did get a little better after I went to the track but it still does it a little bit. I do notice the lower rpm I engage it the worse it gets.