Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is a boost controller necessary

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is a boost controller necessary

My build is underway and I'm starting to gather some odds and ends of parts. Is a boost controller necessary and what are the benefits? I know it allows you to change between boost settings but how often do you guys adjust yours? How does the computer compensate the tune for differant boost levels? Is the BS3 controller practical at all? Setup will be a 408/s91/4l80e/with meth...mostly a street car with some track and some street legal racing stuff. Thanks for any help or suggestions. I'm still learing this turbo stuff. It seems the ams 500 and eboost2 are both popular choices.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:05 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of guys do not use the BS3 controller due to being able to change the AMS settings without a laptop.

The AMS controller is used by quite a bit of top name racers and has showed its usefullness. If you have no desire to ramp in boost or have multiple stages, then get a single stage controller.

If you plan to run at the strip alot, or what a all out tune-up for the street, then by all means get the ams 500, it wont be much more then a standard electronic boost controller.

The tune is setup by map vs rpm. Load cell dynos make this a breeze to dial in pretty close. Your timing table is setup the same way as far as load vs rpm.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
Alot of guys do not use the BS3 controller due to being able to change the AMS settings without a laptop.

The AMS controller is used by quite a bit of top name racers and has showed its usefullness. If you have no desire to ramp in boost or have multiple stages, then get a single stage controller.

If you plan to run at the strip alot, or what a all out tune-up for the street, then by all means get the ams 500, it wont be much more then a standard electronic boost controller.

The tune is setup by map vs rpm. Load cell dynos make this a breeze to dial in pretty close. Your timing table is setup the same way as far as load vs rpm.

I agree... if she is a street car a boost controller that is a manual will work for you..... just be sure to have enough fuel in the tune for the higher boost setting.

Kyle

Quick Reply: Is a boost controller necessary