Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

700 vs 400

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 vs 400

If you dont want to do much reading skip to the last paragraph where I ask the questions I need help with, the rest is back ground info.

Right now I have a TH400 in my car that is out of a 91 G10 and has about 30k on it, it works great. The only problem with it is that fluid leaks, very slowly, but only when the car is running. If I leave it run in one spot for 10 monutes there will be 4 or 5 drips and I have never been able to pin point it, changed converters, changed pump gaskets, changed the seal around the pump and its still there. But I can live with it.

This week I picked up a 700R4 out of a 93 truck with ~70k on it, I have no idea how it works but it does have a 60 day warranty. I actually ended up getting it for free, my shop got it from a junk yard cause they said it was a 4L80, paid 350 for it with a stock converter, got it back and found out it was a 700, the yard refunded the money but told us to keep it cause its we're to far away that they dont feel like coming and picking it up. So now if I want it I can have it.

Should I start using it? I would love to have an OD, my milage with the 400 is so bad I dont get to take my car on long trips like I'd like to. What plugs into the 4 wire harness on the side of it? a computer of just some power wires and the lock-up controller? It is lock up correct? I dont really know anything about the 700. Is there a good article with general info I can read to help me make a more informed decision about if I should swap? Thanks in advance.