Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Big block help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big block help please

im thinking of buying a big block off of craigslist. they say its been bored over 125. and its running 14:1 pistons....can anybody help with feedback??

does this sound safe to you?
Old 04-09-2008, 12:16 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

I would not use & for sure not buy a stock block at .125 over. Even filled, with any power, that is a lot of stress.
I know guys claim all the time it's fine. Even if you trust it, you're buying something that has zero rebuilds left.
My opinion. Good luck.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970

I would not use & for sure not buy a stock block at .125 over. Even filled, with any power, that is a lot of stress.
I know guys claim all the time it's fine. Even if you trust it, you're buying something that has zero rebuilds left.
My opinion. Good luck.

I agree with the zero rebuilds, but I've run .125 over BBCs before. Ran one for a year with a healthy shot of spray before my buddy threw the belt off and over heated it and blew a head gasket. Up until that point it was very dependable.
You are taking a chance though. Esp buying off Craigs list, ebay or any other internet market.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Looking at craigslist, is it local to you? If it is then you can simply go over there and look at the block. Ask the guy if he had the block sonic checked to see how thin the cylinder walls are.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Launching!

Sounds like an Alky deal and most likely has aluminum rods, I would pass on it unless the internals are in great shape(assuming it has steel rods) and are worth the asking price of the engine because that all your really getting when you buy it. I have run .120 over in the past w/ few issues but usally on a MAX effort combo or something that was very budget minded. Its usally junk after and would not be my first choice if I had the choice to make....

My engine is 13.8:1 and I'll tell you 55 gallon drums of C-16 arent cheap
Old 04-11-2008, 03:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With that kind of compression it may be a max effot motor meaning the parts are not made to last, might find out if the block has been checked out and what parts are in it.

14.1 is good race gas all day long, no pump gas and you will need a good battery and GOOD and powerfull aftermarket starter, larger depending on cubic inches.

Quick Reply: Big block help please