Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Why doesn't the paddle fit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 02:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why doesn't the paddle fit?

I'm preparing to install used GM 3.42s on a take-off torsen 3-series diff. While trial fitting, I found that the torsen paddle does not clear the ring gear for removal or installment. WTH? I thought that was only a problem w/4.10 ring gears.

Anybody else come across the same problem? Is it because the GM gears are a little bit bigger than aftermarket gears? Do aftermarket 3.42s fit without problems?

I don't want to grind the ring gear and don't see how I can grind down the paddle without affecting its proper operation.

HELP!! PLEASE.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Why doesn't the paddle fit?

It sounds like you may have 3 series gears for a 2 series carrier and a 3 series carrier. The 3 series for a 2 series carrier will be about 1/4 inch (not quite 1/4 inch) thicker than standard gears. It is just a thought, but if you try to install "adaptor" gears onto the correct carrier, you will likely have this problem. If you set the carrier in the bearing caps, will the teeth mesh? I'm not sure you could adjust that much out of a gearset, but if it won't fit, you may know for sure that something is wrong (likley the wrong gear series....).

Just my thoughts.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2003, 04:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Why doesn't the paddle fit?

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the "thick" gear thought crossed my mind. The odd thing is that the gear is supposedly original GM that was mounted on an auburn posi diff from a 94 Z28. I wouldn't expect different gear thicknesses between the 2 diffs.

I haven't mounted it yet and won't until I figure this out. I'm going to compare the torsen to the old auburn to make sure I was sent the right series diff.

Am I the only one to have encountered this problem?