Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Hello LS1 tech.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello LS1 tech.

Hello,
My name is Brett.. New to the board but not to forums.

I currently have a Merkur xr4ti. which I am in the process of swaping out the 370rwhp 4cyl turbo(pump gas) 410rwhp (race gas) for a Ls1.

The reason for me to go with the LS1 is weight and size of motor and most of all, I have to make it smog legal for Ca. The car is currently in Fl. and as most of you know there is no smog testing there.

Yes I can get away with it(keeping (4cyl turbo) in Ca keeping the car registered in Fl. but once I get pulled for whatever reason I would have to change motors to pass and I dont have the facility in Ca. to do the work on Fl. I can do top end stuff in Ca. but just not yanking motors.

I a going to be swapping in a LS1 00-02 or 04-05 with AFR heads and some custom cam to start with along with LS1 edit mated to a 4l65E to start. I just want to get past the Ca smog Ref first.

looking to match the performance of my current combo. so I will be looking for at least 400 rwhp on Ca pump gas with LS1 motor

My car currently has a 8.8 ford cobra IRS modified to fit in my subframe. So I dont have that weak of a rear other than the CV axles now.

I will put up pics of my car later tonight. should be a pretty interesting swap.

My next issue is finding out about how Ca. determines the vehical, the engine comes out of. I want corvette motor due to the Bolt on Ca smog legal parts available for it.

Could I just get a 02 Camaro engine and run a 02 Vette computer? or do they read serial # off block ?

well i am off to work.