Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission is OUT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Transmission is OUT!!!

Finally got the transmission out of the car tonight (Want to thank my buddy Mike for helping get the transmission out from under the car). Had a lot of little problems here and there. My biggest issue was the crossover pipe that ran right below the front transmission pan bolts (couldn't take the pan off to drain ). It wouldn't allow the transmission to lower enough to clear the tunnel. Thought I could unbolt the driver's side log manifold and drop it a few inches - WRONG! Ended up cutting the pipe on the driver's side, then dropping the passenger manifold (couldn't get the bolts for the crossover flange loose).

Bleeding out the transmission

Shot of the ugly *** T76 while I was under the car. Will probably need to rebuild it one day.

Removed coil packs and dropped passenger side manifold with crossover pipe still attached.

SURPRISE! Busted poly torque arm bushing.

...AND ITS FREE!!!

Someone graciously filled in the dreaded 12 o'clock bolt hole for me. :bigthumb:

The happy Camaro without a busted *** transmission.

Should be picking up the good 4L60E this coming week. All I have to do is get a filter, some seals, then bolt everything back up. I'm going to go ahead and get a drain plug welded into the pan so I can at least drain it without the crossover pipe being in the way. Also, thinking about welding some little flanges to the crosser over pipe where I cut it. Just for easy removal. Once that is all done, hopefully I can get some good video of the car running.

- Patrick
Old 04-12-2008, 03:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

great pics bro. hope it all goes well for ya. im droppin mine next week so it was a good preview.
Old 04-12-2008, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My biggest issue was trying to get the transmission out with the crossover pipe (for my turbo system) still in place. I didn't want to cut it and have to weld it back once I got the new trans in. I ended up having to cut it anyways... If you have a stockish exhaust system, I don't think you'll run into many problems. Just make sure you get the car up in the air as high as you go. I have my front jack stands on the last notch w/ a 1x1 paver stone underneath them. I put a stack of pavers under my wheels just for extra insurance. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.