Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i really need some/any help

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 10:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default i really need some/any help

ok here is the deal , i tried to get some help from people to hook up gauges and noone helped, at all....so i went at it and i had everything hooked up fine, got to hooking up the coolant temp gauge and i figured i would tap into the one on the car, dont think it was a good call but maybe i just did it wrong. so i taped in the information wire and i thought i taped into the other one be on accident i went into the one that goes to the alt. so i spliced those wires back together and started the car. i unpluged the battery doing this so iwoulndt blow anything. so i started the car, the new coolant temp worked fine but the cars wasnt and the computer read it was -38 deg and the fans came on and stayed on and the car idled high. so i undid the gauge and put it all back how it was, spliced the wires and called it a night until i could find out how to hook it up right and why that was happening. now i have 4 trouble codes i need help wiht. i think the p0118 code for coolany emp circuit high imput and why the fans were on and why it idled high was from the computer not reading the proper temp. and then anti theft code? is that beause i disconnected the battery? and that was code p1626. the others were p1635 and p1639 for 5 volts ref 1 circuit and 5 volts ref 2 low. now i dont know what those mean at all. so if someone would please help me out and tell me if its ok to drive my car liek this. i cleared the codes and the fans dont come on now when the temp is low. so can i drive like this and should it be ok now that the wires are spliced? and what is the proper way to hook that up along with an air fuel gauge and shift light? please i really needs some help.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: i really need some/any help

Those other codes also had to do with your splicing. If you reset in and no codes and your factory temp guage is working ok - I think you'll be fine. You might want to solder those splices you have and run some heat shrink tubing over them to keep them from corroding.

As for the temp, You need to use the sending unit that came with it. It's a PITA, but the passengers side cyl head has a plug in the back (you'll need a metric adapter to make it work as you sending unit is SAE and the threads in the block are metric)

Mark
Old 07-31-2003, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

For your SES 5V ref, check your 2 fuse panels in your engine compartment. I believe the fuses are labeled ENG or something like such.
Old 07-31-2003, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i have some wiring goin to the fuse panel and i think when i taped into the wire it threw that code. i cleared all the codes and drove about 50 miles and no codes up yet (knock on wood) thanks for the imput guys, and i got some of that liquid tape to put around the wires and then i taped it off some more so i dont think anything will get in there know, i hope. let me know how this sounds. thanks guys!