Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

help....

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help....

i did a search and got most of what im looking for but just want some more guidance. my camaro is lower with 18 inch z06 wheels. i have the stock torque arm, stock lca's and the 10 bolt with a true trac diff stuffed in there. i have no sub frame connectors. there is alot of wheel hop when the gas gets mashed and it kinda of sways back and forth at higher speeds on the highway. it has the biggest factory sway bars from gm on the front and rear.

i do not want wheel hop at all as i will take this car to the track to test and tune. i want the suspension dialed in eventually.

will lca that are relocated, adjustable torque arm, and panhard rod fix this problem. i want decent 60 foots and i want the car planted without wheel hop or swaying (obviously). please point me in the right direction.

6 speed by the way.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LCA relocation brackets, torque arm, and panhard rod will all help some, but one of the single most overlooked items to upgrade are actually one of the most obvious, once you think about it:

the tires

get some good, sticky drag radials and your traction should improve more than the rest of the things combined.

one other thing to note, the bigger you go on your wheel diameter, the smaller the tire's sidewall. for auto-x/road racing, this is a good thing, as less sidewall flex = less tire wobble = better handling. but for drag, you want the sidewall to "crumple" a bit, so the tire can "bite" the pavement better.

but once you have the right tires for the job, the next best thing out of the items you mentioned above would be the LCA relocation brackets, which is usually also the cheapest item to upgrade.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Assuming he can't change the tires.... The LCA relocation brackets I've heard great stuff about as an inexpensive traction device and helping eliminate wheel hop. I've heard people say that the torque arm also helps. I don't see how a panhard bar helps wheel hop. Can anyone indulge me on that one?

I would also think that worn shocks don't do anything to eliminate wheelhop.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by secondgearscratch
i did a search and got most of what im looking for but just want some more guidance. my camaro is lower with 18 inch z06 wheels. i have the stock torque arm, stock lca's and the 10 bolt with a true trac diff stuffed in there. i have no sub frame connectors. there is alot of wheel hop when the gas gets mashed and it kinda of sways back and forth at higher speeds on the highway. it has the biggest factory sway bars from gm on the front and rear.
What do you mean by "sways back and for at higher speeds"? Like does it follow the grooves of the road(trammeling), or do you mean it gets floaty and disconnected or bouncy?
Old 04-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
What do you mean by "sways back and for at higher speeds"? Like does it follow the grooves of the road(trammeling), or do you mean it gets floaty and disconnected or bouncy?
its tough to say...

keeps planted but i did a highway pull and it seemed to sway from side to side.

called umi and they were a great help, as are all of you. keep it coming, as i need to get it dialed in...
Old 04-15-2008, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Assuming he can't change the tires.... The LCA relocation brackets I've heard great stuff about as an inexpensive traction device and helping eliminate wheel hop. I've heard people say that the torque arm also helps. I don't see how a panhard bar helps wheel hop. Can anyone indulge me on that one?

I would also think that worn shocks don't do anything to eliminate wheelhop.
the panhard recenters the rear i would think, as it shifts a bit when lowered.
Old 04-16-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i had this EXACT problem. my rear control arm bushings were shot. to the whole control arm slides left to right making it feel wobbly and not driving straight. the only way to tell is get a prybar in there and see if they move side to side. you cant really tell just by looking at them.