Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

bushing question

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bushing question

ok so i was under my car the other day and seen that the bushings on the front control arms looks beat. and i do get a squeling noise some times up front so i want to replace them but dont know if i should go with stock or after market i was looking at these kind http://www.spohn.net/?action=product&pid=1047 . and it says with out shells so i wanted to know what that ment also? also how hard is it to change them?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

any one ?????????????
Old 04-15-2008, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

What do you intend to do with your car? Street, Slalom, Drag Race, a combination? That is a question that has to be answered before you go further.

My personal opinion is to either go oem (or moog) rubber if you care about ride quality or a delrin-aluminum/bearing joints for all out performance. This is my recommendation regardless of chassis.

I have had such horrible experiences with urethane a-arm bushings that I would never recommend them for any reason. It is possible that they don't bind, squeak or compression set on a fourth generation f-body, but I doubt it.

I believe that global west sells a bearing retrofit kit for these if you are really after performance. Never used it myself, but the parts they make have treated me right over the years.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i personally love my polyurethane energy suspension bushings. it does make for a harsher ride, but where i live, the roads are really nice anyways. WITHOUT sleeves means that you will have to melt out the old rubber and put in the new bushing. WITH sleeves means that you can just press out the old, press in the new. without sleeves is much more time consuming.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

oh, and the reason people dont like urethane is because they buy the red ones which are more for show, and there are black ones with graphite fill so they dont squeak. i also used anti-seize instead of their lube. i have found it lasts much longer...
these are the parts. if you buy, ask for the black ones.
http://energysuspension.com/pages/cam1.html
Old 04-17-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
...... It does make for a harsher ride, but where I live, the roads are really nice anyways.

This is the key to the situation. I've been using Energy Suspension stuff since the late '70s. Always loved how it sharpened up the car's response, but on my '96 Z-28, with the really low profile tires, Eibach springs, and continually deterioriating roads, I wound up taking them out after 1 summer. The car was simply getting beaten to death, and I was concerned that I might actually bend/break something, because they didn't have much compliance.

I put in Moog stuff, which is an OE replacement.

(I should probably sell the ES bushings, as they've been sitting on the shelf in my garage for 7-8 years)