Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reading Spark Plugs..need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 02:17 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reading Spark Plugs..need some help

Ok, after battling with a car that all of a sudden wants to crank for a while before starting, i guessed plugs. They are TR6' and have been basically abused for 14000+miles, and several bottle of 100 and 150 shots.
I only pulled the driver side, wanted to see if maybe i was tracking here...read: lazy.
#1 has a swollen ground strap, and is oddly colored with a greenish hue.
#3 has a ever so slight greenish blue hue on a chaulky appearance, but it is not wiping off easily
#5 & #7 both have a blue ring around the electrode as does the other plugs. Never seen this before, wth?

all plugs smelled ok. my first thought seeing the whitish chaulk was being lean, but i am not getting any knock. I just installed a new tune from Predator, before on the old tune i was at 12.8:1, new tune was supposed to be -3% to bring it too 13.1:1, although I inturn added fuel for WOT cuz I wanted to spray. Maybe a little lean on the Jet size?
And have no clue about the green or blue hues and swollen strap, other than "Gee, I dont think this is normal!"

TIA.

Charlie.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Reading Spark Plugs..need some help *DELETED*

Post deleted by SHARKYMARK
Old 08-05-2003, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Reading Spark Plugs..need some help

You'll get that color with NOS, I've seen it before.
I would check fuel pressure, regulator and injectors. LS1 has dead end fuel rails and does not offer balanced fuel pressure on all cylinders. After some miles dirt can build up by the two front cylinders (IN the rail that is), have it cleaned. An aftermarket adjustable fuel regulator and in line fuel pressure guage can help u monitor better.
TR6 are good but I'm partial to DENSO IRIDIUM for longevity and misfire prevention.
I don't run NOS now but I used to on my 99T/A.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:48 AM
Restricted User

Default Re: Reading Spark Plugs..need some help

Mark, thanks. Never seen this on any Nirous plugs before, but thought maybe the sulfur in the mix or something. I like the iridiums as well, but favor NGK, only cause of price though as they share the same benefits and performance.