General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Hard Start issue, fuel related...

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hard Start issue, fuel related...

So my white TA was put back to stock maybe 400 miles ago. On Monday I went to start it and it took several cranks to get it going (enough to build oil pressure). Later this week I found it was fuel related, if I prime the pump a couple of times before I start it (cycling it to ACC back and forth), then try, it starts right up. I replaced the fuel filter and no difference, it has a 255lph walbro in the tank that has about 3500 miles on it, and it has stock injectors now, however I'm not sure how old they are.

What do you guys suggest I try next? I'm going to run some fuel system treatment through it and see if it helps, what else? I don't think it is the starter because after the car is primed, or if its been on and I shut it off then start it again, it starts just fine. What do you guys think?

EDIT: New battery too and I also changed the ignition and starter relay's, no luck.

Last edited by 'Trust'; 05-02-2008 at 07:01 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put a fuel gauge on the schrader valve and see if it's holding pressure or bleeding it. I'd look at the FPR, seeing as you've replaced the pump and the filter already.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:44 AM
10 Second Club

^^ thats not a bad idea. I'll see if I can to that tomorrow or Monday. I have my set of 38lb's on rail, I may try switching those out and setting the tune for 38's and see if it helps.

I could probably do a fuel pump in 2 hours, I just don't want to drop the tank if thats not it, and I don't think it is, although the car did die at a light today. Guess I need to pull the WS6 out of the garage and drive that
Old 05-13-2008, 02:29 PM
10 Second Club

For those that might have the same problem we found the problem. The fuel line from the pump to the lines in the car had split inside the tank causing an internal leak. The pump is fine. It was Goodyear Fuel Injection line, when the line came out of the tank it was VERY flimsy, ethanol may have had an adverse effect on the line.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting! Ever since I got my car it tends to do what you describe, cranks forever unless you turn the key on and off a few times to get the fuel pressure back up. I'll add this to my "to check" list.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those that might have the same problem we found the problem. The fuel line from the pump to the lines in the car had split inside the tank causing an internal leak. The pump is fine. It was Goodyear Fuel Injection line, when the line came out of the tank it was VERY flimsy, ethanol may have had an adverse effect on the line.
What did you do to find that out? did you have to drop the tank?
because my car does the same thing!
Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem a few years ago. Ended up being a flaky ignition relay. I pulled it and tried one of the fan relays and the car started up. Bought a new relay at AutoZone for about $10 and have not had a problem for about 2 years now.