Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil smell at WOT, no smoke.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Oil smell at WOT, no smoke.

Just looking to collect a few ideas on troubleshooting a burning oil smell I have at moderate throttle and WOT. The valve seals are over 20K old, but mostly highway miles. Since I dont get any smoke on startup, so I do not suspect the valve seals. Also, I dont really suspect the rings since Im not burning through oil during normal driving, and I do not see a smoke screen behind the car at WOT.

Now for the primary suspects: The PCV system.

It starts with an LS6 valley cover, which the pressed in brass fitting fell out of during installation. I epoxied it back in, and I dont think its leaking from there. The block valley mating surface was quite clean when I installed it, but just to be save, I pulled reinstalled it with silicone just to be sure that wasnt the cause.

From the valley cover, i have that little 4" piece of hose with the PCV valve provision, then the PCV valve itself. From there, I have an ebay catch can with the included lengths of surgical tubing. I only have hose clamps on teh teo catch can fittings, not at the PCV valve or the intake, however these fit very snug, and I dont see it leaking from there. The catch can fittings have been are all carefully sealed with silicon.

I have the driver side valve cover plugged up, and the passenger side fitting has a cap on it. The fresh air tube between the valve cover and the throttle body appears to be fine as well.

Any ideas on how to track down where its actually coming from?
Old 05-05-2008, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have an oil leak it could be leaking onto the exhaust then when you go into high RPM the exhaust gets hotter and burns the oil, thats what is happening with my car damn oil leaks!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

The valve covers dont seem to be leaking, and I don't see anything on the primaries. When I change the oil Ill see if anything looks wet down under the motor.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

You could do a compression check to see if you have a weak clyinder. How many miles on the block?

Good luck.
Bill
Old 05-06-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bill Bowling
You could do a compression check to see if you have a weak clyinder. How many miles on the block?

Good luck.
Bill
Too many miles. 116K. But like I said, no smoke. And how would the smell get out as opposed to going through the exhaust?

Quick Reply: Oil smell at WOT, no smoke.