Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter hub split

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 03:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Torque converter hub split

I was driving my car last Wed. when I started smelling something burning. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw a lot of smoke coming from my car. I pulled over and discovered trans fluid leaking out of the front of the trans. I loaded it up on my friends trailer and carried it to the shop that rebuilt my trans just 1000 miles ago. He took the trans out today to find that my brand new Torque Converter was causing my leak. The hub on the converter has split down the side. I really don't know what to do, I called the company and they told me to send them the converter so they could inspect it and decide if it was a manufacturing defect or a install defect. I have ran this brand converters for almost 10 years and I have never had a problem with them I hope I do not have to eat a $700 converter with only 1000 miles on it. I would not think it would be an install problem when it ran great for 1000 miles. What do you guys think?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:13 PM
FormerVendor

Most of the cracked hubs I have see are due to excessive transmission operating pressure.
When the converter lugs drive against the pump gear too much load from high line pressures will fail the hub, as will hitting the revlimiter or allowing the transmission the go to limp home mode.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

A few pics of the crack!