Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just had my previous tune looked at...running real rich...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had my previous tune looked at...running real rich...

So I bought my a TR224 cam and all supporting bolt ons. The previous had the car tuned and said it was putting down 387/379. So since I thought those were good numbers for that cam, I thought the tune was pretty good. I just had a good tuner take a look at my car and he said most of the tables are stock. The previous tuner barely touched on anything. He said AFR is like 10.8-11.2 at WOT! So now I am a bit worried that the cam has been in the car for about the past 20k miles and running rich. He said once he gets in tuned it should increase power by like 15-30hp. The car drives strong but when he drove behind me he said he could definitely smell it running rich. We are guessing that maybe those dyno numbers were uncorrected.

Will this have really hurt my by having a crappy tune in for the last 20k miles or so? I have only put on about 8k miles, and the car has 51k miles now. Previous owner added the cam around 30k miles. Just a little worried, should it be ok? I'm hoping to gain more power and increase my MPGs(since it's really rich right now) by getting it re-tuned.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

you should pick up 10-15. That's real rich.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MattIROC
you should pick up 10-15. That's real rich.
Yeah 11 AFR seems very rich. When he said that, my jaw kind of dropped. Bad news, but I will get it fixed.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

shouldnt you be working nick
Old 05-08-2008, 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PewterMNZ
shouldnt you be working nick
Shouldn't you be getting your cam installed?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Addict

The calculated pe (or multiplier value he was probably looking at is a good reference) but put awideband in it and see what it actually is. The cars mileage under heavy throttle might increase, but the PE (fuel addition at wot) has nothing to do with daily drivability, other than a second or two of lane changes or accel.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SpeedWorld
Shouldn't you be getting your cam installed?
hopefully sunday
Old 05-08-2008, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JoeyGC5
The calculated pe (or multiplier value he was probably looking at is a good reference) but put awideband in it and see what it actually is. The cars mileage under heavy throttle might increase, but the PE (fuel addition at wot) has nothing to do with daily drivability, other than a second or two of lane changes or accel.
Yeah basically all the tables are stock, so that's not good with for my car, with the cam. So it's not just off at WOT, the a/f is probably quite a bit off all around. He's going to put it all at stock and spend all night retuning it from scratch. Can't wait, I knew it wasn't running at it's peak performance.