Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whistle/whine coming from an engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whistle/whine coming from an engine

so normally i would think this is the belt causing the whine, but for some reason (and it's been a long time since i've worked on any ls1) i remember maybe there being a common problem with a pulley going bad and whining or something under the ls1 hood. is that the case or is it likely the belt? it's on the right side of the engine (like if you're in the front seat looking forward).

it could be a common problem from the v6 i had years ago, i don't remember. i just remember some car i owned had this problem in many of the cars that were manufactured. thanks.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

A bad alternator whines
Old 05-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Teching In

I'm having the same problem right now. does the whistle continue after you turn off the engine and the belts stop... for just a second or two? If so, its vacuum, which is my problem. I just can't figure out where on the intake system it is.
If the noise stops immediately with your belts, its probably a pulley, or worse a crank bearing... ouch! I also just replaced my alternator because one of my pulley's was off my just a couple mm, pulling the alt. pulley inwards, causing the heat fans on the back to rub on the rear wall.

Hope that helps.

John