Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random SES light?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random SES light?

The strangest thing happened on my way home tonight, I was driving along and the SES light randomly turned itself on. I drove another good 15 minutes or so and it still hadn't clicked off by the time I got to my driveway. I haven't done any mods to the car in months, and the last thing was a set of 4.10s which was like 6 weeks or more ago. Those couldn't possibly effect it. I just did an oil change about 2k miles ago as well so it can't be that. I tried resetting the oil change sensor by holding down the trip button a few seconds thinking maybe that was needed but no dice. The car has no internal work done to it, just intake, exhaust, home ported tb, gears, tires, fra, shifter, and subframes. What could possibly be causing this? I'm going to check one more time tomorrow to make sure it wasn't related to the unusually foggy and humid weather tonight somehow but if it's still there i'm a little worried. The car is a 98 with less than 52k miles on her and it's in pretty good shape. Could my cats be fried or the o2s for some reason? Could the cutout being open for a good 6 months have caused some kind of code to trip finally?

I don't have autotap to see exactly what the code is unfortunately, and this is unsettling because I wanted to possibly do a cam and set of headers in the near future!

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-07-2003, 02:23 AM
12 Second Club

Default Re: Random SES light?

could be a misfire code, time for new plugs maybe
Old 08-07-2003, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the code scanned at autozone, and report what it was.

Old 08-07-2003, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

alright i'll try autozone. do they charge at all or is that a free service? it might be a couple days or so since i'm moving in a day or two
Old 08-07-2003, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

It's a free service.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

light turned itself off today for seemingly less reason than it turned on. wtf...
Old 08-08-2003, 08:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm over in Emngland UK, I have an 2000 Trans-Am, just had the SES light appear on mine after about 8000 miles, not done any work on the car before apart from change oil etc.

I find that my SES light may stay on for about 30 miles go off for about 5 miles. I do many short jopurneys in the car which dosn't help matters, but most of the time the SES light will be on, its not due to temprature or fuel type. I've booked it in for a good service to find out what is causing it, the plugs are getting old I expect, so that may be all it is. You may have a simular problem.

The car I have has done 96000 miles, plugs should be changed every 80000, I have no previous history with the car so dont know if it was ever done.

Good luck with removing your fault code.