Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

i need some opinons

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need some opinons

i posted a thread recently talkin about how i had my plugs and wires changed the other day and that the day after i had it done my engine was making a strange sound... well today i took it back to the garage i had it done at and let the guy drive it around a little bit... he called me and said that he really thinks it's something internal in the engine.... i know its about impossible to know what it is without hearing it but can somebody tell me what are some of the possibilites it might be?
btw i know the previous owner ran nitrous on the car... dont what shot tho.
the mechanic pulled all the plugs and check them and they're fine.... my car only makes this strange sound through the first few gears and really does it when the car has been sitting awhile... i would appreciate some opinions cause this **** is killing me
Old 05-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Banned

Called Piston Slap. Get used to it
Old 05-14-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

wht kind of noise is it makeing? like a ticking noise?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Launching!

what exactly is piston slap... and how do u fix it?

yea it does make a ticking sound all the time, it has since i got it (which i dont know what that is).... but the sound i'm talking about that started after the plug change is kinda like a scratchy/rattle type sound... sounds likes its coming from the drivers side... i checked and nothing is loose.. the more throttle you give it the louder it gets... it will do it through the first 3 or 4 gears then stop... it's weird!?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

hate to bring up an old thread... but i'm having what sounds like the same problem.
just after a spark plug change too.

did you ever figure out what it was?
Old 08-05-2008, 11:32 PM
TECH Regular

Rocker arms are known to come apart and valve springs are known to fail also. Could possibly be a lifter bleeding off and the more you drive it it builds up enough pressure to go away.

the more throttle you give it the louder it gets... it will do it through the first 3 or 4 gears then stop... it's weird!?

You may want to STOP DRIVING it if it is that loud and gets louder with more rpm.
A light tap or ticking sound is normal for these engines. Not loud rattling sounds.
Have it looked at by someone knowledgeable about LSx engines.