Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Electric HEI to Vacuum HEI

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric HEI to Vacuum HEI

Ok here is the story,my brother got 1986 Corvette with TPI he converted it to carburetor the car came with HEI electric built in coil so we toke the car to the garage to swap the electric HEI to vacuum HEI but the car wont start !! the mechanic guy told us the distrebuter wont spread the sparks bit it has electric inside it but it wont spread the sparks and now we toke the car out of his garage and take it back home,before 30 min I checked the wiring it was something will be done for 1$ work !! So I want to know which wire goes to what there is a connection for trigger its connected but I dont know which wire colour for BAT and which one for TACH and how do I know if the rotor or module is working?
Old 05-17-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

connection for trigger??? All you need to do is find which of the wires is hot to the old coil or distributor with the key on. It will be a thicker wire. This is really the only one you need for the car to RUN. Not sure on the tach, probably need some sort of adapter for it. Dont think the external coil distributors had a tach out but im not sure.Test it with a meter to see if your getting 12 volts with the key on. If you are then splice you a spade termial on there and plug it into the batt terminal on the distributor.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thnx man

Quick Reply: Electric HEI to Vacuum HEI