Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just started cam install!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just started cam install!

I'm excited as hell. I just pulled the valve covers and removed the rocker arms and Pr's. I'm waiting for the weekend to come to get the harmonic balancer remover and installer. Which one works the best at Autozone? They don't seem to have a clue. I will be removing the stock one and after the cam swap I'll be adding a Powerbond 25%. I have searched, but I'm just double checkin!

Wish me luck!
Old 05-15-2008, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always used the three prong puller.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just look around for a 3 jaw puller at AZ. Not sure which one fits, itll be trial and error. You may want to leave the stock bolt in there to push against if you dont find one with a flat pad (think C clamp). And as far as teh installer, youll need to use a threaded rod tool, or the longer bolt method. Careful with teh longer bolt, ive had to drill out a crank when one seized up on the way out.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

the puller to use is a lisle 49500
http://www.lislecorp.com/tool_detail.cfm?detail=962

use the long pushrod inside the crank.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I broke my 3 jaw puller and had to rent one, but I think it was a 3" 3 jaw puller. I also used a thread tool to reinstall and a new stock pully bolt when I was done. The thread tool worked like a charm and was no sweat at all. Just make sure you thread it on to tolerance so the belts line up well. The cam install was so much easier than I thought it would be. The 2 most time consuming things on mine were

1) getting the radiator back in by myself (30 min)
2) deciding on what meathod to remove and install the cam (2 days)

I ended up going russian roulette. The lifters got knocked up enough to be off of the cam, but not enough to get the dowells in and I couldnt find enough pen magnets to use.

Good luck
Old 05-15-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by firefighter813x
I'm excited as hell. I just pulled the valve covers and removed the rocker arms and Pr's. I'm waiting for the weekend to come to get the harmonic balancer remover and installer. Which one works the best at Autozone? They don't seem to have a clue. I will be removing the stock one and after the cam swap I'll be adding a Powerbond 25%. I have searched, but I'm just double checkin!

Wish me luck!
If you get it from Autozone it is the 'Chrysler style' 3 arm puller.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Definately get the 3 arm puller from Autozone. It works great.

Also, pick up a longer crank bolt to get the harmonic balancer off. The stock bolt just isn't long enough. The LS1howto.com write-up says it might be possible but after doing a cam install, it's definately not happening without a longer bolt. The bolt specs are M16 x 2.0 pitch x 120mm long. Pick one up at a Sears Hardware or your local specialty fastener shop.