Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

I think I blew it up

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I think I blew it up

I hane an 85 iroc z with a transplanted 350 it has a roller cam and roller rockers the other day I installed a new accell distributor and got the timming adjusted and then took it out to "test" it if you know what I mean well when I grabbed second gear I got this awfull clattering noise that sounded like the top end of the motor was going to come through the hood but it didn't. I never lost oill pressure and the temp never went up but when we tool the valve covers off the rockers weren't getting oil my dad seems to think that the oil pump pickup fell off in the pan and the lifters and rockers went dry and thats our noise car still fires up and runs good. I drained the oil and there isn't any shavings or dicoloration and it still carrries 50 psi of pressure just like always even after the motor is warm. It's no that I don't trust m dad I just want a second opinion
Old 05-16-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since problem started after the distributor install, investigate there 1st. There is a groove around a boss in the distributor body. That groove routes oil to the top side. I'd toss in the old distributor and see if you get oil topside.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jsonchevz
the other day I installed a new accell distributor and got the timming adjusted and then took it out to "test" it if you know what I mean well when I grabbed second gear I got this awfull clattering noise that sounded like the top end of the motor

I'll put money on it that you're getting to much ignition timing advance and the noise you hear under acceleration is detonation.
You need to put the ignition timing curve back to where it used to be.
You just changed the distributor, did you check the initial and total timing before and after?
Old 05-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Teching In

yes I did what I guess I didn't say was that I drove this car from the time I put this distributor in I live about 45 miles from my dad I pu the distributor in myself exactly in the same spot as the old one besides this is way louder than any thing to do with timing it ran great all the way to my dads house we had found a bad vacum line and chamged it and went to see if it made a difference when the noise happend I was at about 4000 RPM
Old 05-16-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jsonchevz
yes I did what I guess I didn't say was that I drove this car from the time I put this distributor in I live about 45 miles from my dad I pu the distributor in myself exactly in the same spot as the old one besides this is way louder than any thing to do with timing it ran great all the way to my dads house we had found a bad vacum line and chamged it and went to see if it made a difference when the noise happend I was at about 4000 RPM
How many degrees initial? How many total? and at what rpm did it reach total?
Or do you mean you marked it and put it back in the same spot? How do you put a different one back in the same spot as the old one? how do you mark for that?

It's timing, get a light and check it.

Quick Reply: I think I blew it up