Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam only ... replacing lifters, head gaskets, and rocker arms...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam only ... replacing lifters, head gaskets, and rocker arms...

Preventive Maintenance? Or just wasting your time?

I honestly have no desire to take this current motor over stock cubic inches, I may decide to do a forged rotating assembly, heads/intake and nitrous at some point, but if I have a reason for pulling the heads (say I've blown a head gasket), is it worth my time putting in a new set of lifters in and getting a set of Cometic head gaskets?

I've already gotten to the point where I may have to replace some valve seals, so the stock rocker arms will be coming off anyway, why not put something else on, even if they're rebuilt stock rockers?

Just curious on other peoples views... I don't mind spending the money or doing the work, but would rather see if people think it's worth it or a waste of time/money

was a random thought late at night I guess
Old 05-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Launching!

How many miles on your lifters ? My opinion is if you have 80,000 or less miles on them and they are quiet , don't fix what aint broke . Stock rockers are fine too , but you should upgrade to hardened pushrods when you change the cam .
Old 05-17-2008, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

I replaced all my valvetrain components just for good measure. Pushrods, and lifters aren't that expensive so why risk it? Plus I would be really pissed at myself if I left the stock lifts or pushrods and had to take everything back apart to replace them when I was already there. As for head gaskets I would say if your not having any problems I wouldn't mess with them. Unless you take them off to check PTV clearance when you change your cam, then you gotta replace them anyway.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:59 PM
Launching!

My first post was assuming he was NOT pulling the heads, just a cam change . I agree that if you are pulling the heads, new lifters should be in your plans .