Sponsored by:

6.0 LQ4 into Third gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 01:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 LQ4 into Third gen

Hey all,
I'm just starting my conversion for my third gen. I just purchased a low mileage LQ4 short block and am planning on building a very similar engine out of it that Super Chevy did in the June Edition. With a few exceptions. I'll be using a set of CNC L92 Heads, GMPP intake thats been port matched, and tapped for a direct shot of laughing gas. Topped with a Barry Grant Mighty Demon carb. I'm going to be using MSD Coil packs to light everything and a MSD Ignition Controller.
I'll keep ya'll posted on the build.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:51 AM
Teching In

Ive read that one... should be pretty mean

What cam do you plan on running?
Old 05-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Default cam

I plan on running the showroom stock cam or comp makes a pretty good cam with pretty much the same specs but a touch higher lift.
Once I get the L98 pulled I'm going to sell it and the tranny to offset the costs of the new build. I pretty much pushed the L98 as far as it would go. I have ported and polished GMPP heads on it. Ported Edlebrock base and runners, 58 mm 1000 cfm throttle body, crane came and crane roller rockers, Long tubes, msd ignition and a Nitrous express dual stage kit. I had the 700r4 built too. I was getting a hair over 375 hp to the rear tires n/a. Its pretty quick and has a huge amount of torque but the call of a LS motor is too great.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cool...

My original plan was to swap a low-mile LQ4 into my GTA, so I'll be following this one to see how it turns out. Make sure to take lots of pics & document how it goes!

BTW, is that Super Chevy article online?
Old 05-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Teching In

Default Article

No the article is not but I can scan it and post it up for ya'll
Old 05-19-2008, 07:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like an interesting project.

What made you decide to go with MSD coils? Them boys cost some money, I am just wondering what the advantage is.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Teching In

Default msd coils

The main reason that I have chosen to go with the msd coils is the sheer amount of voltage that they put out versus the stock ones. Whenever more voltage is introduced into the combustion process, the fuel burn will be more efficient and much stronger. Therefore you will make more power. I've seen some of my friends make as much as 15 hp by switching from the stock coil packs to MSD packs. I'm running the MSD's on my 06 f-150 and they may be a bit pricy but I'm getting better fuel milage and more power.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

Your money may be better spent on a cam swap as opposed to the msd coils. Just my .02
Old 05-27-2008, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree, I've seen a couple of articles concerning those coils and they made no significant change in HP and they cost a ton. Do some research on them before you spend that kind of $$$$$.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

DO NOT buy those coils unless you have unlimited funds... its a waste of money, IMO
Old 05-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Teching In

interesting choice on going with the lq4 instead of the ls1, i hear they are a lot cheaper but i dont know much about them, oh and out of curiosity why are you going with a carb'd setup
Old 05-28-2008, 08:32 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bay_kid26
interesting choice on going with the lq4 instead of the ls1, i hear they are a lot cheaper but i dont know much about them, oh and out of curiosity why are you going with a carb'd setup
once you go 6.0, youll never have another 5.7L.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:16 PM
Staging Lane

Great choice! I always like something different! Have you checked out the Car Craft artical yet? It's a four part series and got my brother and I interested in using the LQ4 for a swap. We convinced a buddy of ours to put one in his '91 Mustang with a 6 speed. We are going a little bit different direction and staying with EFI though. Good luck with your project and make sure you take the time to take alot of pictures and post them up!

http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild...ock/index.html
Old 05-29-2008, 06:06 PM
Teching In

Default Research regarding coils

Research and hearsay that some of you guys know about the MSD coils are two different things. I have personally seen the gains of these on two different ls platforms. One being a 99 Camaro 5.7 ls1, second being a daily driven 05 goat. Myself and my friend took the camaro to a local dyno at home, and did a set of 3 dyno pulls per part install. With his enclosed trailer had every tool needed and a canopy for us to work under. His car already had AFR heads, comp roller cam, and long tubes on it. We switched out intake, maf, throttle body, and intake manifold, run 1, Tuned the computer, run 2, pullies, run 3, then msd coils on run 4. The car jumped 14 ftlbs and 8 hp peak from run 3 to run 4. Exact same warm up on each run. That made me a believer.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:10 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SilentBobZ28
Research and hearsay that some of you guys know about the MSD coils are two different things. I have personally seen the gains of these on two different ls platforms. One being a 99 Camaro 5.7 ls1, second being a daily driven 05 goat. Myself and my friend took the camaro to a local dyno at home, and did a set of 3 dyno pulls per part install. With his enclosed trailer had every tool needed and a canopy for us to work under. His car already had AFR heads, comp roller cam, and long tubes on it. We switched out intake, maf, throttle body, and intake manifold, run 1, Tuned the computer, run 2, pullies, run 3, then msd coils on run 4. The car jumped 14 ftlbs and 8 hp peak from run 3 to run 4. Exact same warm up on each run. That made me a believer.
but is that power gain at peak only?
even if it wasnt, would you pay nine thousand dollars for that power upgrade?
there are so many other things to tweak for free to get that kind of power.....
just my opinion, though.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Teching In

Bay kid,
the reason for the lq4 is cubic inches. 6l versus 5.7. Secondly the reason for the carb is I just want to simplify the entire car. Unnecessary wiring is going to go away. Air conditioning has never worked properly in my car. It's probably going away too. Carbs are simple to tune. I've been doing it since I was 8 racing Jr. Dragsters when I was a kid. I tuned my own A/E Dragster when I was in high school. Fuel injection is great in a daily driven car. If I was going to drive my Z every day I would keep it fuel injected. However it is a saturday night car. Thats how it is going to stay. So a carb will work just fine.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:21 PM
Teching In

I think you exaggerated a bit . $9000???
They run about $625 a set.
And if you do like I did, go to a 4x4 or car convention where I picked up mine. They were about half that for a set. I got set back 350. I paid more than that much for my 6al, blaster coil, and pro billet distributor thats on the current l98 in the car.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:39 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SilentBobZ28
I think you exaggerated a bit . $9000???
They run about $625 a set.
And if you do like I did, go to a 4x4 or car convention where I picked up mine. They were about half that for a set. I got set back 350. I paid more than that much for my 6al, blaster coil, and pro billet distributor thats on the current l98 in the car.
yes, i exaggerated a bit.
for the price, there is no real gains, IMO.
now if you are to the end of the world in modifications, then that last lil bit of power is worthwhile.
all i am saying is look eslewhere until you cant.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Teching In

I come from a bit different school of thought.
I'm installing high quality parts across the board.
Basically do it right the first time so you don't have to worry about it later.
Whether I run the L92 cnc heads port matched to the intake or a set of C5R cnc heads, comp cams or GMPP Cam. Every part I buy is quality. I've seen too many people skimp on parts and have had engine failure because of it. Whether I tear in to the bottom end is up in the air right now. That depends on my engine builders pre build inspection. If something is wrong with it, I'll go on and buy a forged stroker rotating assembly. It only had 12000 miles on it when the truck it cam out of got rear ended.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

There are several boosted guys making 1500+ HP with stock coils, with no issues what so ever.

IMO $625 for 8hp / 16lb-ft?

$625 can get you a decent MP Turbo, and you can make 800+ hp with that?

seems like a waste IMO, especially when swap headers for these cars are $799.

Sheldon

Quick Reply: 6.0 LQ4 into Third gen