Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

drag radials on stock rims good idea or not

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default drag radials on stock rims good idea or not

I am looking to get some drag radials and I have my stock 17 inch rims sitting in the shed and was wondering if I could buy some tires and use my stock rims for a while or should I buy a cheap set of rear rims that are smaller. Questions on this are would I save a lot of weight by going to a lighter rim and also will there be clearance issues with the calipers. Also if I use my stock rims how what size tires should I go with. My car is lowered otherwise stock suspension.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its the stock 17 inch wheel that your ta came with they you will be fine with a drag radial.you will need a 275/40/17 i have nitto drag radials on my car and its a nice weather daily driver and im running the same size wheel you are. nittos are a good all around drag tire that last a wile mickey thomsons and bfg's wear out much faster.
i use my nittos on the track on the street and on the hwy with no problems.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

your wheels don't really care what type of tire you put on them, as long as you're using the correct tire size for it, and not trying to put tires on that are too skinny or too wide.

i can't remember what the width of the stock 17" wheels are, but if they're 9" wide, you can fit anywhere from a 255- to 275-width tire on it, and if they're 9.5" you can go from 255- to 285-width tires.

i'd stick with the 275/40-17 like shaun said, so the overall tire height will be correct.

if you're REALLY worried about weight, you can go down as small as a 16" wheel with very little chance of caliper clearance issues, but you've already got the 17's, so i'd just use them. but it's your money, so if you want to save that little bit of weight, that's your decision. how much weight you save depends on the wheels you go with...every different type of wheel is going to have different a different weight, even if they're the same diameter & width....it all depends on the type & amount of material used to make the wheel.

Quick Reply: drag radials on stock rims good idea or not