Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some Research for New motor (Guru's inside Please)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003, 06:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some Research for New motor (Guru's inside Please)

I've got 103,000 miles on my current shortblock...nothing leads me to think it's going anytime soon, so I can build up another at my leisure.

I had a few questions though.

1. I want to keep the bore small so I don't have to spend more $$ to have my MTI heads reworked for the large bore, but I'd like to get a lil more CID. I was thinking of going with a slight overbore (Please insert your opinion of a good overbore that will take advantage of Stage 2 MTI heads), with maybe an offset ground crank and forged rods.

What kinda CID will I get with that kind of set up (I know that there is a lot that can change but a round-a-bout number...355...367??

2nd Have the offset ground cranks been able to hold up to 450 N/A HP with a healthy shot of gas on top..that is what I'm shooting for..as of currently I'm in the 420ish rwhp range w/my MTI H/C set up and don't expect I'll go down in rwhp when I do the build up.

Anyone have a clue as to what that kind of shortblock will cost? Block, crank, forged rods, pistons....I can price the pump, timing set, etc...but someone that has done a build up of a 346 or better what have your prices been? I appreciate the time guys!!

Later...
Old 08-11-2003, 12:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Some Research for New motor (Guru's inside Please)

...offset ground cranks do not yield a significant increase in displacement...

therefore, consider a clean up hone on your block and a stroker crank, rods, and new pistons...
Old 08-11-2003, 01:14 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I did my motor again...

3.905 Bore
Coated bearings, pistons
Diamond pistons
Diamond rings
Eagle Rods
either nitrous or forced induction
Phillip
Old 08-11-2003, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hrm. overbores really do help to unshroud the valve if you have 2.05 or larger valves. If you have 2.05" valves, the cost for a combustion chamber rework may not be all that bad. I'd think about it.

You cant do a medium overbore on one of these aluminum blocks without going ot an iron block, which in my opinion isnt a great option unless you are going with big stroke. A big stroke and mild overbore is probably more expensive than a 4.125" re-sleeve setup with stock rods and crank (like my 387).

None of these options are cheap, but....
Old 08-11-2003, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I went with a new 6.0L block. They have a standard 4.001 bore which yields 364cid with a stock crank. The bore is .090 larger than stock LS1, so no major reworking of your heads is needed. You could have the valves unshrouded a little for better flow.