Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Electrical Issue??

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible Electrical Issue??

alright, i'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but here goes.

i just installed an slp catback exhaust system (3" intermediate pipe, 3" over the axle pipe, dual/dual muffler and cme tips).
been driving it for about 3 weeks now and boy does this exhaust sound WAY better than stock!!!

i went to the dyno, CAM, to get a new tune and while i was there i installed a fast toys 85mm lid, z06 85mm maf and a ported tb.

everything worked good until we tried to make a run. the rpm readings on the computer started to bounce around as soon as the car went to WOT. the car didn't hesitate or stumble or anything, just the readings on the dyno computer.

we tried to troubleshoot the problem, tried clamping the computer lead onto different plug wires, tried multiple computer wires with no luck.

we were able to get a base tune using the air/fuel meter in the tail pipe and the hp numbers from the dyno, but thats all.

Jeff at CAM thinking there is some RF noise coming from somewhere in the car and thats throwing the rpm sensor crazy.

heres where the story get interesting. about a week ago i blew a left front blinker bulb. no big deal, went to autozone, bought new bulbs and changed it out. the blinker worked great.......until i was leaving CAM to drive back to virginia and i noticed it was blown again. i've read the threads about this being a problem and that the socket probably needs replacing too......HOWEVER, could this lead to RF noise????

i'm definitely no expert when it comes to electrical issues and have no idea how to chase down a bad ground or short or whatever in the electrical system could be causing the computer to not be able to read my rpms.

by the way, the dyno worked fine for the GTO they hooked up immediately after me.

so, should after replacing the blinker bulb socket, where should i go to search this problem out??? is it possible the the short in the blinker bulb socket could cause RF noise???

just to throw this out, the car did make 332 hp, and the only mods are what was said earlier in this post, so it is running good.

thanks
tony
Old 05-28-2008, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A similar thing happened to me...I took my car to a very popular dyno in the area... but it just wouldn't dyno my car(but dynoed cars afterwards)..same thing as what happened to your car.

I took it to another shop, and it worked fine.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

anyone else?

tony
Old 05-30-2008, 11:54 PM
12 Second Club

STAY AWAY FROM CAM

On my local NC forum noone left will go to him. They crashed a customers c6 corvette, along with many other things. Not a good place to take your car. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:51 PM
TECH Regular

what kinds of "other things" are you talking about???

pm me if you want.

tony