Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing cat with stock manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 10:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default removing cat with stock manifolds

I tried searching but couldnt find anything remotely close to what im looking for lol.

What all is involved in removing the cats from a car with stock exhaust manifolds? Is it even worth it/possible to do before headers?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not much..You have to remove them anyway to get the stock manifolds off and if your putting longtube headers in you cant use the stock cats anyway im pretty sure...I dont think you can use them with anything but stock :-/ I could be wrong though. And if you are not putting headers in at this time there would be no point to removing them.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Do it!!!!!!!

I chopped mine off a couple months ago. What the guy did was remove the cats and cut off the catalytic converter part and kept the ends of each side(hinges I guess you can call them) that bolt the cats to the stock manifolds on one side and the stock y pipe on the other. He then welded the "hinges" on to each side of a pipe shaped and sized to fit perfectly under the car bolted on. The car does get a big enough power gain to feel as you punch it. The car gets way louder and a better sound to it as well. Your car will wake the dead since you have cutouts. I've also heard of people just gutting out thier cats and nice car btw.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01SuperSport
I chopped mine off a couple months ago. What the guy did was remove the cats and cut off the catalytic converter part and kept the ends of each side(hinges I guess you can call them) that bolt the cats to the stock manifolds on one side and the stock y pipe on the other. He then welded the "hinges" on to each side of a pipe shaped and sized to fit perfectly under the car bolted on. The car does get a big enough power gain to feel as you punch it. The car gets way louder and a better sound to it as well. Your car will wake the dead since you have cutouts. I've also heard of people just gutting out thier cats and nice car btw.
awesome, thats actually really good news since im a poor *** college student with hardly a penny to spare for anything, much less LT's at the moment

thanks man shes not the best of the best but shes my pride and joy
Old 05-29-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No problem bro. I was hoping you would understand what I wrote and I completely know how it feels to be a broke *** college student because that's what I am at moment as well. lol
Old 05-29-2008, 01:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I cut mine out, and welding in 2 1/4 tubing. Used both stock flanges, and everything else in the exhust. Sold the cats for some good money. lost a little weight off the car. Slightly louder at idle, more WOT, and on shifts over 3K.

did a back to back dyno, with tune. Only gained 1 peak HP, but could add more timming, and evern up gaing like 8wtq