Western Members CA, AZ, NV, UT, CO, NM, HI

Colorado emissions and cam?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 04:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Colorado emissions and cam?

Hello - I tried doing a search, but came up with nothing regarding this subject, so here goes -

I am looking to see what cam I can use in an otherwise stock (minus cat back magnaflow exhaust, SLP cold air intake, lid, MAF, and smooth bellows) 2000 Z28. I am (for now) going to be keeping the stock heads, but will upgrade the springs/retainers as needed (also the timing chain, and oil pump at the same time as the cam swap - basically "free maintenance"). Right now, I am looking at the MS3 because it offers the 114 lobe seperation (as I've heard makes passing emissions a lot easier). Is that true?

Here's my question - will the MS3 fit with stock heads? Is a 114 required to pass? Will it pass Colorado emissions with the 114? 112?

Sorry if I don't reply right away; I am deployed in Thailand right now but will respond daily as soon as possible.

P.S. Anyone interested in helping out come around July (when I am done being recalled from the Marine Corps)? I am in Aurora (suburb of Denver) and will have plenty of beer and food ... I am confident I could figure it out myself based off ls1howto.com, but a little expertise never hurt ...

Thanks in advance!
Mike

Last edited by mike3605; 05-31-2008 at 05:02 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldn't expect you to be able to pass anyones emissions with the ms3. No matter the lsa. Do you have the option/ability of registering in El Paso or Weld County? No emissions here...yet. Also you shouldn't have any issues with the stock heads on that cam.
Old 05-31-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

the ms4 requires fly cutting i believe so you have to pull off the heads anyways. Flycutting is where they cut into your pistons so you have more clearence between the valves and the pistons
Old 05-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

that sucks pretty good .... there's no way I can register anywhere except Jefferson County (commuting issues, and the laws in place). Hmm ... so here's the next question - what cam would anyone suggest for good gains while maintaining the ability to pass Colorado emissions?
Old 06-01-2008, 05:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Datzneat
I wouldn't expect you to be able to pass anyones emissions with the ms3. No matter the lsa. Do you have the option/ability of registering in El Paso or Weld County? No emissions here...yet. Also you shouldn't have any issues with the stock heads on that cam.

You don't have to worry about the "yet" part. They did away with emissions for the entire state except surrounding counties of Denver in Jan 07. How gay is that? Why make us city folk pay for this crap? Emissions is just a feel good measure anyways - damn hippies.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mike The MS4 Does not require flycutting on stock internals, Actually you could go bigger, as long as your heads are not milled.....

The MS3 ad MS4 are good cams and I've speced out cams in around these specs depending on application.

These wont pass emmissions, it's the durration thats killing you, even with a 114lsa..

If you want a cam that sounds agressive and lopy, plus pulls great in the mid rpm range, I can spec one out for you, but the durration will be in the mid to upper 220's.

:-)

Clint
Old 06-01-2008, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HUGGER ORANGE SS
Mike The MS4 Does not require flycutting on stock internals, Actually you could go bigger, as long as your heads are not milled.....

The MS3 ad MS4 are good cams and I've speced out cams in around these specs depending on application.

These wont pass emmissions, it's the durration thats killing you, even with a 114lsa..

If you want a cam that sounds agressive and lopy, plus pulls great in the mid rpm range, I can spec one out for you, but the durration will be in the mid to upper 220's.

:-)

Clint

Hmm ... My heads are not milled; they are completely stock. I am, however, looking to replace the valve springs for a more agressive cam. What kind of gains are we talking about here (after tune) with a cam you can mil out? Also, what would the specs be? I am very interested ...

Thanks for the info,
Mike

Quick Reply: Colorado emissions and cam?