Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Uggg.. stuck lifter...

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Uggg.. stuck lifter...

So Ive got a set of melling lifters installed, barely 25K old, and it looks like the number 8 intake plunger is stuck up. While trying to set the preload on a set of comp pro magnum rockers, the pushrod could not easily be depressed into the lifter body. Im guessing the lifter is stuck at full extention. I set the one rocker to 0 preload and Im going to try my luck. Has anybody had any luck freeing up stuck lifters before? I had GC in the motor and just changed it out for amsoil 5w40. Anyway, I have replacement valve springs on order and ill have to replace them in the next few weeks, so ill be able to check up on the lifter then. Really just wanted to vent. Im not looking forward to the seemingly inevitable task of having to pull the head again. At least its the passenger side which is much easier than drivers side. Shiiiiiiiiiiit.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Humm, how about soaking in mineral spirits overnight?
Old 06-01-2008, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It prob is just pumped up yet. I also have the comp adj pro mags. i typ will have 4 or 5 that will still be pumped up when i set them.

you can crank it down a few turns and leave it sit for a hour or so and it should blead down.and then set it I norm just call it zero and do the 1 1/2 turn's from that point and move on to the next.

It is easy that way instead of trying to feel for that light spring in the plunger to call zero or the start point to set pre load.

I have ran the pro mags for 2 years and have that happen with the stock ls1 and my new ls7 lifters a ton of times. just set it and go
Old 06-01-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cant soak em in spirits, grimes, theyre still in the assembled motor!~!

quick, You might be right, but the other 15 were all fine and easily bled down. I had bumped over the motor countless times to do the first 11 rockers before I got to the number 8 intake. I cant see it still having been pumped up, but i guess it is possible. When I tried tightening it, it started compressing the springs, so I left it at 0 preload for now. Ill try letting the spring pressure bleed it down when I replace the springs in a couple weeks.
Old 06-01-2008, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lifter

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy

quick, You might be right, but the other 15 were all fine and easily bled down. I had bumped over the motor countless times to do the first 11 rockers before I got to the number 8 intake. I cant see it still having been pumped up, but i guess it is possible. When I tried tightening it, it started compressing the springs, so I left it at 0 preload for now. Ill try letting the spring pressure bleed it down when I replace the springs in a couple weeks.
yup but i have the same thing. sometimes a ton of them stay pumped up sometimes just one. and i do the same on cyl at a time. you should be able to over do it like 3 turns and just watch it .it will slowly bleed down.

act comps tech line told me to go like 3 turns and let it sit overnight and then set them because i had a prob like 2 years ago since then i just set and go never a prob
Old 06-01-2008, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy

Oh, I was under the impression you were going to take it back out...sorry!
Old 06-02-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, thanks for the replies guys. Ill try to let it bleed down next time Im in there. Might pop the valve cover this weekend if im particularly bored, but otherwise ill just wait for the new valve springs.

Quick Reply: Uggg.. stuck lifter...