Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

popping sound after installing new sway bars, endlinks the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default popping sound after installing new sway bars, endlinks the problem?

Well my cousin and I spent today working on my car. We replaced a solo bleeder which had been crushed, put a new boot on a caliper pistol, bleed the brakes, installed a new A/C tensioner, changed my oil, installed a new door handle bezel, and put in my new BMR sway bars. The sway bars came with energy suspension endlinks and bushings. One of the endlink bolts was bent, so I went to autozone and bought a new set of endlinks. But after getting out on the road, they are popping like crazy. We jacked up the rear when installing the rear endlinks and had the A arms in the front on jack stands when we installed the front endlinks. I do not think the problem is the sway bar bushings, just the endlinks. But I am trying to figure out what is wrong, or if the endlinks bushings just need time to break in???

Thanks
Old 06-02-2008, 01:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Did you tighten the endlinks so that the polyurethane portions are slightly compressed?
Old 06-02-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
Did you tighten the endlinks so that the polyurethane portions are slightly compressed?
I am guessing that they should not be making noise then? I think they may need to be tightened more cause I do not think the endlink bushings were compressed that much. Am I safe to drive to school tomorrow? I can deal with tightening them afterwards if thats whats needed. (I have about 20 of those energy suspension endlink bushings, most are new, in a bag if any get damaged.) Also by putting the A arms on the jackstands, did that create enough preload? And how high should the rear be jacked up for preloading the rear? (We had it horizontal, at a right angle, with the endlink in the rear)

Thanks
Old 06-02-2008, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did my install on ramps, but you should be fine with the arms on jackstands. You'll be fine going to school... Ive driven my car short distances in worse condition. I'm not sure thats exactly whats making the noise, but I would check all the easy stuff first (like tightening the endlinks).
Old 06-02-2008, 02:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hpjunky98
I did my install on ramps, but you should be fine with the arms on jackstands. You'll be fine going to school... Ive driven my car short distances in worse condition. I'm not sure thats exactly whats making the noise, but I would check all the easy stuff first (like tightening the endlinks).
I will get them tightened this week then. I installed new endlinks on the stock sway bars, but I must have been more persuasive with the air ratchet that time. Nothing else has changed, the A/C still turns on, so I hopefully that solves the issue.

Thanks a bunch,
Robert

Quick Reply: popping sound after installing new sway bars, endlinks the problem?