Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Vinyl overlays as stencils?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vinyl overlays as stencils?

I'm thinking about painting some graphics on my car, either manta or gran sport stripes, and was thinking about buying a vinyl piece to stick on the car, then tape off the area around it and then remove the vinyl so that I have a perfect stencil. Does this sound like a good idea or is there a better way to do it?
Old 06-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by cochran191
I'm thinking about painting some graphics on my car, either manta or gran sport stripes, and was thinking about buying a vinyl piece to stick on the car, then tape off the area around it and then remove the vinyl so that I have a perfect stencil. Does this sound like a good idea or is there a better way to do it?
It sounds like an expensive way to do it. I'd talk to your vinyl supplier to see if they can do a reverse or "stencil" decal. That way you can use the high quality vinyl as your masking...it goes on easier, comes off easier without removing new paint, and gives you beautiful paint lines.

I know one big supplier that does "stencil" vinyl, but they don't really offer the big stripe kits.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Would it just be cheaper to take it to a shop then? I just want to change up the looks of my car without spending a ton of money.