Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible StingRay Project - Input Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible StingRay Project - Input Wanted

Also posted this in conversions but figured I'd get more traffic here, so apologies in advance for the cross-post!

In light of the untimely demise of my trans am last summer, I'm now thinking of starting a stingray project. I've always loved the looks of the C3 corvette but the performance was lacking a bit compared to what's currently out there.

That being said, I'll probably be looking for a rolling chassis to stuff an LS1 and T56 into with a buddy of mine. Of course this car has to be faster than my previous, so I'm now at the point where I need to start thinking about heads/cam choices.

I want the car to run 11.9s or better on motor, but retain as smooth a ride as possible. Basically, I want to make as much power as I can before running into traction and drivability issues (wow, doesn't everyone?). I've driven lopey cars before and they were fun but I want this one to have the manners of a nice quick sports car rather than a baby-eating dragster.

I liked the 4.10s in my t/a but felt they were slightly aggressive for my city driving so I may try going with a 3.90 this time around. Most of the car's spirited driving happens on the highway so if I had to bias the power band, I'd say mid to upper rpm range. I kind of like the idea of letting the gears handle the torque down low and then feeling the kick in the *** as the car winds out and the cam begins to peak.

Based on this, what kind of specs would you guys recommend? I'd like to build this car as a package on paper before doing the actual work, unlike my TA which was done kind of by the seat of my pants .

I should add that I may also throw a 100 shot on the car so that I can hang with the Z06 guys .

edit: what am I looking at for injectors? I'm going to be doing an external fuel pump setup most likely because I hear in-tanks don't play so well with un-baffled gas tanks.

Thanks