Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok Iam new here and need help with my built!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Ok Iam new here and need help with my built!

Ok, so to make this story short, I know very little about american cars, but love the torque!

I have a 98'camaro and I bought a
-torquer v.3 cam
-Comp Cams 918 Spring Kit
-Texas Speed Hardened Chromoly Pushrods
-FAST 90mm intake
-NW 90mm Throttle
-pacesetter headers
-Magnaflow exhaust
-LS6 oil pump
-Rollmaster Double-Roller Adjustable Timing Set
-HP Tuners

I have yet to buy a converter. Now to the problem!
Installing the cam one of the lifters fell in even with the magnet, so Iam pulling the heads off. Iam going to change lifters too. Here is the question, The car has 110,000 miles on it, so I am thinking of pulling out the block to change bearings, any other things I should change? and once I have my heads out Iam thinking about doing port and polish. can I mill the heads with this cam? How much?. What is the correct oil pump installation procedure? and how much power should I be making? Any help will be awsome, Thanks
Old 06-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you will have a good setup but your bottom end needs some attention. i.e. forged pistons, rods, "ROD BOLTS", etc. Build a good foundation first...
Old 06-05-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

if memory serves the tq v3 has like .649 lift intake, i think the comp 918's are rated to .625
might want to look into patriot golds for that cam

also look into ls7 lifters

being a 98 your ijn the same boat as me with my 99, the rod bolts arent as good as later years, you have 2 choices basically:
1. replace them with arps
2. dont spend much if any time at all over @ 6500 rpms

i didnt replace mine, doing well so far....
Old 06-05-2008, 08:23 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TransAmcoupe98
Sounds like you will have a good setup but your bottom end needs some attention. i.e. forged pistons, rods, "ROD BOLTS", etc. Build a good foundation first...
just wondering...but why would he need a forged setup on the bottom end? I'm running the v.2 (232/234 .595/.598) with some 5.3L heads and the bottom end is just fine as stock.

in my opinion, you could probably mill them a little bit, but it would be a waste because you could save that money up and get a good set of heads later on, of course there would be a huge price difference in this, as most sets are around 1000-1500 for a good set, and there is a good bit of work as well in swapping the heads. You'll be doing that anyway I see, so you'll have some experience with it later down the road when you want to swap them out.. The more air you get in and out of that engine with a cam like that, the better!

The LS7 lifters aren't necessary, but are a nice upgrade I've heard; I kept the stock ones. I also have the stock rod bolts, but I've got a 2000 Camaro, so apparently they're stronger? I don't go above 6k rpms anyway, haven't gone to a strip yet!

Good luck with your build
Old 06-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Teching In

any ideas on how much I can mill the heads with this cam?
Old 06-08-2008, 11:18 PM
Teching In

???????
Old 06-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with stock valves, probably a few cc... but you'd be better off leaving the cc and running a .040 gasket.. always check ptv though.

if you're refreshing, get good bearings, rings, and rod bolts. You can leave everything else stock.

and see if you can return the comp 918's for comp 921's.. the lift on the tq v3 is too much for 918's. they will likely coil bind.